viii. Scarlet Rage & Beating Hearts.

‿̩͙‿ ༺ ♡ ༻ ‿̩͙‿

‿̩͙‿ ༺ ♡ ༻ ‿̩͙‿

"Alright, let me take this one," Kurapika says, determinedly moving forward to the catwalk.

The two bridges rapidly retreat as soon as both contenders step into the arena, and an intense silence hurriedly engulfs the rest of the room. Decidedly, the prisoner reaches for his cape and harshly yanks it away from his body, leaving the group of wannabe Hunters somewhat stunned.

Kurapika's arbitrarily selected prisoner is rather... odd-looking. The person is a mammoth of a human being with long legs, a firm core, broad shoulders, and a booming presence. (Name)'s eyes dance over his unusual blue skin tone, noticing his ridiculously muscular frame and vastly disfigured face with a missing nose and lacking teeth. Nineteen small, carmine-colored hearts are tattooed on the left part of his chest.

"What an astonishing physique!" Leorio exclaims, visibly disturbed.

"And he's pretty shameless," Killua comments.

"Does his face work differently...?" (Name) mutters to no one in particular, eyeing the metal object protruding from his ear and the numerous cables connected to it.

"Look at this!" He points to the tattooed hearts. "It's the number of people I've killed so far, and I plan to get it to an even number. It'd be a pleasure to meet the 20th person."

Kurapika's smoky eyes take in his contender's aura, fearless. The prisoner cackles maniacally with an ugly tone, dripping with disdain and pride.

"Are we looking at a serial killer?" Leorio questioned, staring in fear at the blue being.

"It would only take a duel to the death to keep me satisfied," The prisoner explained cockily, "I won't accept half-assed challengers. I want blood. I want guts. And I want agony."

(Name) felt her conscience drift on and off as the two talked back and forth about the requirements of the battle and such. Kurapika's weapons clanked against the floor. Unlike Leorio, it seemed as though she wasn't exactly worried about Kurapika or the empty, threatening promises of the blue prisoner.

The sound of rippling flesh snaps her out of her daydream, and she raises her head to find the prisoner aggressively flexing his muscles, mangling with his body in a way that made him look bigger, more 'intimidating'.

"Are you okay with that, Kurapika? That's a formidable rival you got there." Leorio says quietly.

Killua lazily brings his arms up to rest his intertwined hands behind his head, his expression only further confirming how bored he feels at the moment. He sneakily assesses his companions beside him, smirking lightly upon recognizing the same countenance of weary ennui on (Name)'s face. Looks like she, too, could tell the blue guy was just a big-mouthed blockhead.