xviii. My Loved Ones.

‿̩͙‿ ༺ ♡ ༻ ‿̩͙‿

‿̩͙‿ ༺ ♡ ༻ ‿̩͙‿

(Name) feels oddly watched by the townsfolk. Don't misunderstand, she's always watched, but she has never been so like this. Like a purebred hound behind bars, being blinded by the incessant questions that feel like ceaseless camera flashes. Always observed. Always waiting for her movement. Always waiting for what she is going to do.

She is the youngest of her family, and she has taken into flying through the strings of virtue as though she had been born in the sky. A prodigy in magic oozing fairy dust through her pores, a magnetic and well-mannered little lady, a growing child who has been ostracized by others her age because she is not them, and they are not her.

She is the youngest, so look and look and look at her, as she was born to be looked at, as every other before her has been looked at as well.

The square's fountain, embellished with colorful flowers and ribbons, becomes the focal point of attention, a place where (Name) is gently guided by her mother to share snippets of her adventure with the curious crowd.

Calla-Lily disguises her laugh for a cough, watching the subtle nervous tics in her sister.

Time blends into the afternoon as a peppy (Name) narrates to everyone the surface-level details of her journey as though she is telling her siblings a ghost story. She's swiveling her head like a spinning top in an attempt to watch everyone who's come to personally greet her, but sense eludes her as she simply resorts to autopilot to not overwhelm herself.

Everyone surrounds her in a semicircle, their eyes wide with curiosity. The barrage of inquiries rains down upon her like a storm, the excitement in their voices reflecting the genuine interest and admiration they hold for the young witch who has ventured into the unknown.

"Was it dangerous?"

"How did you feel?"

"Such wisdom- it's truly remarkable!"

"Did you engage in duels with other beings?"

"Were you ever scared?"

"Who did you meet?"

"Surely, Ilse herself smiled upon (Name) in those distant lands."

"Our little lady is so brave!"

After what feels like an eternity (about five hours, since she needed to say hi to everyone) of stories and chestnuts and questions, (and this time, she means it with her whole heart. She loves her people, but she also loves her peace) she, her mother, and her sister reach Shiragiku sometime around the evening.

What is Shiragiku, you ask? A good question indeed! It's time for a quick geography class.

Manjushage Archipelago is composed of seven islands.