xiii. Snakes & Bees.

‿̩͙‿ ༺ ♡ ༻ ‿̩͙‿

‿̩͙‿ ༺ ♡ ༻ ‿̩͙‿

Five minutes went by. The five became seven, then seven became ten. Then fifteen. Then, twenty. Twenty-five...

The horizon was turning into a molten sea of crimson and tangerine, bleeding into the tranquil depths of indigo. Wisps of clouds, like ethereal brushstrokes, caught on fire, their edges ablaze with the dying light of the evening as the sun kissed the Earth's edge.

(Name) found herself enchanted by a pair of birds. Nestled on a nearby tree, they meticulously preened their feathers before settling close to one another. With a shared exchange of affection, they scrutinized her with their pairs of dark, charcoal-like eyes, their tiny chests gently rising and falling in harmonious rhythm as they surrendered to a profound slumber.

She twists her head again, staring into the void of the dark cave.

(Name) would be lying if she said that she wasn't all that worried about Leorio. Of course, Leorio was way older than her and more seasoned in the different dangers inside the world, especially with his great ambition of wanting to become a doctor.

"Isn't he taking too long...?"

Gon, equally puzzled, chimed in, "What do you think? Is he all right?"

Kurapika was quick to respond, "Yes, but it's nearly been thirty minutes."

(Name) was going to open her mouth again when Leorio's distant voice beat her to it.

"Kurapika! (Name)! Gon! Don't come in!"

Leorio's yelled warning had something of an opposite reaction, as Kurapika and Gon didn't think twice before immediately jumping into action and following his voice inside the mouth of the cave, blindly entering without hesitation. (Name) looked torn for a second before doubtfully following after them in her broom, struggling to guide herself in the dark.

The air grew colder and damper as they delved deeper into the cave. The faint echoes of dripping water and distant noises filled the air, making it feel like a desolate underworld.

She followed Gon's voice as he called after Leorio toward the hole of light at the end of the tunnel, and gasps clawed their way out of their throats after witnessing what was hiding by the bottom of the cave.

Leorio lay unceremoniously on the harsh ground, breathing heavily as a sheen coat of sweat daubed whatever peeps of skins were visible, his body littered with twin puncture wounds like tiny punctuation marks upon his flesh, painted a dark red. (Name) found it easy to recognize them simply by their bizarre shape-snake bites.

"Leorio!" Gon called again, quickly running to kneel beside his friend.

"You fools..." Leorio's words were weak, his strength ebbing. "I told you not to come in."