CHAPTER 26:

Kakashi

"I mean..." She sheepishly nodded and I waited for her to continue, this is good right? She said 'us'. That's a good sign.

She sighed and bowed her head. "I would like to talk about it, if you're okay with that."

I nodded and cleared my throat. "Of course. What would you like to talk about?"

She chewed on her bottom lip and my eyes zeroed in on the movement. "You said your weekend was enlightening.." Ahh so that's what she wanted to talk about, probably was wondering why it was like that. I gave her a smile and her eyes narrowed. "I just finally had a moment to breathe, think about things and having a few moments to myself."

"Oh.. and that was enlightening?" She pressed and I rolled my lips between my teeth to stop from grinning at her.

"Very much so, yes but it was more the decision that I made that was the enlightening part."

"Decision?" I hummed and nodded.

She groaned and shook her head. "You're going to make me ask, aren't you?"

I chuckled. "Yes, I am."

"What decision did you make?"

I thought maybe to keep her guessing but I was so fucking tired of this that I told her the truth. "It's funny that you wanted to talk about us because that's all I thought about this weekend. I'm very happy that you confirmed there's still an 'us.'

"So that's what you made your decision on?" She asked hesitantly and I nodded.

"I almost gave up.. When you didn't come home, I thought maybe it was a sign and I shouldn't put us through anymore unnecessary pain." 

"I didn't sleep with him." She said quickly and I chuckled. "I know, Genma actually tracked me down and explained what happened, you really shouldn't get so drunk sweetheart." The endearment slipped out before I could catch it but I couldn't find myself regretting it because her eyes lit up and her cheeks turned pink.

"Yeah..." She let out a nervous laugh.

"You probably shouldn't announce to him while drunk that you're in love with me either." I threw out casually and she gasped, her eyes were wide and tried to reply but couldn't because she was stuttering.

"I was kind of offended you told him before me, to be honest." Her mouth shut so hard her teeth clacked loudly and I smiled at her. 

"But--, I--, umm." 

"Say it, sweetheart." I said softly, praying that it wasn't the words of a drunk woman but a woman who chose me, who wants to be with me and has forgiven me.

When she stayed silent I added on. "I will only act on the decision I made if you tell me the truth, I won't keep fighting for something that is already over. I wouldn't subject you or me to that, I'll walk away and you'll be free to move on with you life. You can go anywhere, I got you visa's for all the villages and you could start over if you wanted to." Her eyes teared up and I continued. "I got you out of the contract, if you wanted to leave right now you can. As of right now, you're free to make whatever decision you want. I know how much pain this village has caused you, I know that you felt as if you were a stranger in your own home because you were plucked away at a young age and hidden in the shadows. I know that you take on so much pain hoping to spare at least one person from it and I know that you took on too much responsibility at a young age."