Almost Alone (Wednesday)

Wednesday was stuck with Enid for a whole week. Although "stuck" wasn't the right word. In fact Wednesday was having a bit of trouble coming up with words to describe what she was feeling. Anger, though a bland word, fit what she was feeling towards her family. They were leaving her to go and enjoy the family gathering. Now Wednesday couldn't see Uncle Fester. 

But how Wednesday felt about being with Enid for a whole week, that was harder. Wednesday had been a bit surprised at Enid's hug, considering she'd always said that not hugging was their thing, but it had been kind of... nice. In an odd sort of way. But for the rest of the week, Wednesday had no idea. Since Enid's visit was practically a surprise, Wednesday hadn't had much time to think about what they were going to do. She'd thought that Enid could help her with her stalker problem, but Wednesday couldn't think how. Even Thing was going on the trip, so Enid couldn't do her group pedicure stuff she always did with Thing. 

"So, this is the entry hall." Wednesday led Enid into her house. 

"The ceiling is very... tall." Enid said, looking up. Wednesday's lip twitched, like it wanted to smile. Of course Enid would find the weirdest thing to comment about and then comment about it. 

"The entry hall's ceiling spans all our floors, so it's the highest ceiling you'll find in here." Wednesday explained. When Enid nodded and pressed her lips together to smile in response. Wednesday narrowed her eyes slightly. Was it just her, or was Enid acting weirder than normal?  

They continued on the tour, Enid, of course, was freaked out over their spiders, torture chambers, and flowerless plants.  

"This is our guest room." Wednesday told Enid, opening the door to the room. "Uncle Fester usually crashes here from time to time, so it's usually messier and more miserable. But I cleaned up a bit when I found out you were coming."

"Oh, you didn't have to do that." Enid grinned, obviously happy to see no bugs in site. And a little flustered. Wednesday spent a second wondering what that was about, but then realized that she normally didn't do spontaneous nice things and that Enid was probably surprised that Wednesday cleaned up for her. 

"It did, actually. I doubt you'd have wanted to sleep on a bed of nails." 

Enid started to laugh, but then realized it wasn't a joke. "Wait, you guys sleep on literal beds of nails?" She gulped. 

"Only on special occasions." Wednesday said. A bed of nails could work wonders on someone's back, yet no one else used them? Yet another thing Wednesday could never understand about other people.  

"We'll, I'm very glad you replaced it with a regular bed, Wednesday. Thank you." Wednesday shifted, uncomfortable with Enid's thanks. She wasn't that used to being thanked. She actually preferred being cursed.

"You can start to unpack and get settled." Wednesday started to leave. She seriously had to figure out what to do for the rest of the week, and she thought better in private. 

"Wait." Enid stopped her. "What was all that about not knowing I was coming or that your family was leaving today? Are you upset because you can't go now? 'Cause I'm sure I can-"

"It's fine, Enid." Wednesday insisted. This was all her family's fault, not Enid's. "It probably wouldn't be good for me to go to Transylvania now, anyway. The stalker is still at it and I don't know my way around Transylvania. Knowing the territory is essential." 

"So you're not mad?" 

"Not at you, no." Wednesday assured her. "But when my parents get back, there may be some drama." 

Enid sighed in relief. Wednesday hadn't realized she'd been so worried about it. Then again, emotions weren't her strong suit, as Xavier had told her. 

"Is there something wrong, Enid?" Wednesday asked. "You seem a little off." 

Enid froze for a second. "Oh, I'm fine. I just am excited to have something to do since I've been doing nothing the past few weeks. Since I wolfed out on the red moon, I wasn't forced to go to a werewolf lycanthrope camp. And Ajax and I are taking a break from our relationship since he's going to be out of country for the rest of the summer, so I don't even have a relationship to focus on. I've been really bored."

Wednesday nodded. 

"I am so glad you guys invited me over, though." 

Wednesday started to slightly panic in surprise as Enid reached over to hug again, so she blocked her. But then she looked at Enid's eyes and something told her that it was okay to hug. So she let Enid hug. 

"You know," Wednesday said slowly to Enid after pulling apart. "Maybe... it would be okay if hugging was kind of our thing now." 

Enid gasped dramatically. "Don't tell me you're a hugger now." 

"Not normally." Wednesday replied. "Don't you dare make a big deal out of it." 

"I'll try not to!" Enid yelled after Wednesday as she left the room.

Then, when Wednesday entered the safety of her room, her lips curled up slightly as she shook her head. 

Don't make a big deal out of it.