Chapter 4: Die 10,000 times

The garden was bathed in a warm, reddish glow as the sun set, casting a serene ambiance over the scene. 

Misaka Mikoto, the academy's third-ranked Level 5 esper and one of only seven Level 5 espers, stood frozen, her face a mixture of shock and confusion, as she locked eyes with two figures bearing an uncanny resemblance to her.

Questions flooded her mind, each more bewildering than the last. but

Just as Mikoto attempted to make sense of the situation, one of the clones greets her with the most unexpected of greetings: "Meow—"

"Meow? What does that mean? Is it her name? Is she associated with an organization called Meow? Or did I mishear her?"

Before she could make sense of it, the clone clarified, "—says the four-legged creature who is in trouble"

Rising her head to the tree branch. "a cat?" 

"earlier, while passing by this way, I discover a baby, that was left inside a car that was parked on the street. since there was a danger of heat stroke, Misaka used her electrical power to help, but the started creature climbed up the tree and became unable to come back down says Misaka kindly explained the situation, while the other Misaka tried to sneak away"

"...!"

"Sneak away!" Startled by the realization, Mikoto abruptly turned around, only to find Misaka-10000 on her toes. Reacting swiftly, she extended her hand and tightly grasped the clone's shoulder.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Um... ah... Misaka suddenly remembered she has something to do, says misaka as she tries to Justify her attempted escape". Despite her hollow expression, beads of sweat adorned her forehead.

Mikoto frowned. "You're not going anywhere until I get some answers," she declared, her gaze shifting to the other clone. "And the same goes for you. I expect an explanation for everything."

However, the other clones seemed wholly absorbed in the cat stranded on the tree, paying no attention to her demand.

"Cat, so that it's named, says misaka as she learned something new" 

Sighing, Mikoto directed her gaze toward a bench on the side. "Go sit there while I talk to her," she demanded.

Nodding obediently, Misaka-10000 moved to the bench and took a seat.

As she observed the original Misaka struggling to engage in conversation with the other clone, her mind drifted elsewhere. "She's not a bad person, I can tell that for sure, says misaka"

But, does being a good person enough for her to assume she would risk her life for them? Was it sufficient for her to act as a hero, a savior for them?

Misaka-10000 saw a glimmer of hope, a chance to survive. With a Level 5 esper by their side, they would stand a fighting chance against him.

All she needed to do was share what she knew and add a touch of drama to evoke sympathy from her.

A faint smile appeared on her face, barely noticeable unless one focused intensely.

"I can win, says misaka as she rises both hands in victory"

However, the taste of triumph quickly soured as her eyes caught Mikoto firmly gripping the clone's hand as if she were about to remove it. Before she could comprehend the situation, the original Misaka turned her gaze toward her.

"You! Answer my questions. Why does someone like you exist? Who is in charge of this project? And for what reason were you created?" the original Misaka demanded, her voice filled with determination and a hint of anger.