Torture

It is 2 a.m. when Enid finally manages to lie down on her bed, or rather, on the old, filthy, wrinkled mattress her mother had given her to replace the broken one.

Classes to learn how to be a good urban werewolf were nothing more than etiquette lessons with the addition of a riding crop. Exactly. If her wolf was about to come out or her instincts led her to rebel she was whipped by the old lady, an ancient Alpha werewolf considered the leader of the pack. Literally every, or almost every part of Enid's person was wrong for her being a wolf and almost every part of her being a wolf was wrong for her being a human. She had to split the two, take the parts of the human that must go to the wolf and take the parts of the wolf that must go to the human. Literally the woman through words and violence tried to destroy Enid's mind to reconstruct it to her liking.

The girl is exhausted, she strongly objected until after an argument with her mother who according to her had highly embarrassed her in front of the ancient she-wolf, the woman said that for this one time they would give up as continuing would lead to unpleasant consequences and further embarrassment. After all, the girl is not sure how she had managed to semi-transform herself into a wolf, and since only an alpha would be capable of doing so, it foreshadowed her mother that her much-disappointed daughter was the only one in the litter to inherit her alpha genes, and this was a blow to the woman's heart, as her daughter was the last person in the world she would have wanted as her heir to lead the pack. Of course, Enid was not fully aware of herself and does not remember this part.

Enid sees some missed calls from Yoko on her phone as soon as she returns to her room and decides to try to call her despite the hour; after all, the girl is a vampire.

"Man friend, it's strange for you to call at a certain time. What's going on?"

"Forget it Yoko, I just finished the werewolf etiquette class. It was terrible, the old lady who was supposed to help me is a crazy sadist, I think she would get along very well with Wednesday, so you can understand the guy.

Yoko nods very understandingly on the other end of the phone agreeing with her friend after hearing what was done to her at these etiquette classes.

"Yoko please I can't take it, I have to get out of here, please can I come and stay with you for a while? I'm ready to run away if my parents don't give me permission, and I'm pretty sure they won't give me permission."

"I'm sorry Enid, but even if I wanted to it would be impossible, we are on a field trip to Australia. I know it seems strange for vampires to go to a place where the sun reigns supreme, but rhi, my father is a spider enthusiast and what better country than Australia? And honestly I would not want to make my family complicit in kidnapping a minor, you could ask your best friend, SHE would certainly be more than happy to make herself an accomplice to such a crime."

Enid certainly can't blame Yoko for being unwilling to help her escape, after all, her parents are well aware of the friendship between her and the vampire and that would be the first place they would go to look for her and soon after to Ajax. They would sift through every Nevermore student she has ever talked to to find her.

In fact, Wednesday Addams alone could have helped her. At the thought of the girl, Enid's hair stands on end, but she thinks only that it is due to chill given by the idea of living with at her roommate's house. Only she would be willing to help her, or rather kidnap her, without being afraid of the consequences.

"Thank you anyway for listening to me Yoko and good night."

"Good night to you Enid and try to avoid any more etiquette lessons. I don't think you'll be able to resist many more."

After this both girls return to their sleep, one for better to say manages to sleep, Enid's night is not accompanied by sleep, but by frustration, anxiety, anger. All kinds of negative emotions run through the body, mind and heart of the young She-Wolf who in the few moments of sleep became agitated and ravaged the mattress, every time she felt a wrinkle or a spring bothering her, she tore it away with her claws and in the end all that was left was the frame. The poor she-wolf was content to sleep on the carpet, obviously failing to do so, and simply flailed about on the floor, scratching with its claws everything within its reach.

"Good Lord, what happened to you, honey?"

Enid's father's face is pure dismay. The next morning he had been the first, as usual, to get up for breakfast. He was delighted when he saw his daughter finally come down after more than a week to have breakfast with them. The smile soon disappeared, however, when he saw his daughter's condition. He had seen her only the night before, and as much as she did not look, she was fine, certainly not in this condition, with a hollowed-out face, pitch-black dark circles under her eyes, and a dry physique as if she had been drained of her flesh.

"Enid you have to tell us what is happening to you! This is not normal. Tell me what happened at Nevermore."

This time it is Enid's mother who speaks with the Alpha tone imprinted in her voice; she rarely used it with her children, even with Enid she restrained herself. She forces her daughter to tell the truth, although the latter, not yet aware of how, manages to avoid it.

"Mom really I don't know, I miss something, it seems I don't know, I can't, I don't know how to describe it to you."

Enid's mother knows that the girl is hiding something from her and leaves her somewhat puzzled. In theory a beta cannot object to her Alpha's command, this only confirms the fear of the day before. Fortunately, Enid's father comes to her rescue.

"Honey, that's enough, leave the child alone, her first transformation came at a critical time, she immediately had to face a creature that would easily kill an adult werewolf if alone, yet she emerged victorious. In a single night she faced what we in a lifetime have never faced. Now your stupid lessons have brought her to this state. I would say they can stop at the moment and she just needs rest and the affection of her family."

"Well, the affection of her family she can have even on the road. I'll give her a week to recover, then we'll leave. We will visit all the herds in America to see that she finds her mate, or at least a good candidate so that our bloodline will remain noble and rise in rank.

You wouldn't know it by looking at them, they just look like country folk, miserable and smelly, but the Sinclair pack is perhaps one of the purest and noblest of America's pack lineages. Wolves are not accustomed to etiquette as understood by humans, rigid behavior and lavish clothing. Wolf pride and blood is their etiquette. Maintaining a strong attitude, worthy of their being, that is their etiquette, something Enid has always despised. After all, to place oneself above someone else just because of one's blood is not something that exactly suits her.

"Mother if I have to find my mate I would like to do it in my own time as it was for the transformation, in my own way. After all, it doesn't seem to me that as strength my wolf is so much inferior to the rest of the pack."

"Ah support this ungrateful little girl, it's a full moon tonight, that's why I wanted to rush you with the lessons. We'll see if your wolf is really as strong as you say, after all what you faced was not even an adult Hyde, but a teenager like you. We'll see tonight."

Enid, if she was not already, turned as white as a corpse. She had completely lost track of the cycles of the moon. The night, the full moon, was now only a few hours away, and only now does she realize that she feels its influence, but the call she hears is not from the moon but from the east.