Post Dinner

After Enid's traumatizing discovery that virtually all the very good food she had been eating was nothing like she thought it would be, what she thought was chicken was actually alligator, what she thought was lobster was actually spider. Poor Enid was traumatized by this, after all she had been eating with the Addams for more than a week and they had always prepared normal food for her on the side, but that night most likely to celebrate their engagement, Grandma Addams had thought it best to use what she thought were the finest ingredients and given the goodness of the food never felt the need to ask for them, fortunately before eating the dessert she asked if indeed everything was as it appeared, and Wednesday confirmed to her that those were boring ordinary bakery cakes, the only thing that changed was the excessive use of black food coloring.

"Dinner was really delicious Grandma Addams but if you don't mind now I would retire to my room, I'm full and would like to get some rest."

Both Morticia and Gomez respond to her warmly.

"Oh dear there is no need to be so formal."

"My beloved wife is right, go ahead Enid."

Enid still with a warm smile gets up and takes her leave. Of course, she is not overly surprised to see Wednesday get up and follow her wheel, without in contrast to her, giving any kind of greeting nod to the rest of the family.

"Wednesday don't you think you were a little bit rude, you could have at least said thank you for dinner and said good night to your family before following me to my room."

"It would have been strange really, I never did as apparently you haven't noticed all the time you've been here."

Enid scratches her head.

"Yes let's say I was slightly distracted..."

"Be that as it may, even my grandmother knows how much I adore her cooking and it would be pointless on my part to emphasize that at every meal and as you well know my family and I do not wish each other good night, at best good nightmares and I plan to see my family again later, now I am going upstairs to engage in my usual hour of writing, then maybe I will go to the library and get a book to read in the living room with the unpleasant company of the rest of the family, they too will probably gather in front of the fireplace before bedtime."

"Oh do you think I can join?"

Wednesday, who had by now passed Enid and was proceeding her five or six steps up the stairs, stops and turns slowly toward the blonde, who in turn had stopped. The raven makes a gesture that was now all too habitual for Enid, but now taking advantage also of the superior height given by the steps separating them, the swelling of the young Addams' chest and the raising of her chin make poor Enid feel the weight of her figure even more.

"Enid I believed3was clear to you by now, you are an Addams now, if you want me to be even more specific than my mother was, on your papers there will still be the last name Sinclair but that is only because you will acquire the last name Addams from a bureaucratic point of view only after you become my bride."

...Enid's cardiogram flattens out....

"But you are now an Addams for all intents and purposes, all members outside this household have already been informed of this, even the castle as you yourself could see considers you an Addams, it was supposed to be a surprise but I anticipate that father has called the Nevermore and you are now registered as Enid Addams and it will be under this name that everyone will address you from now on."

Now it is Enid's encephalogram that flattens at the mere thought of being called Addams at school.

"I hope I've made it clear, in those few words, that you don't need to ask permission to do anything anymore, I repeat, you are an Addams in your own right, this is your house, it's your rooms, your library, your garden, you can go and do what you want without asking for permission, within a of course the limits of what are the normal privacy of certain private spaces."