Chapter 21

Heather

The buzzing sound echoed in my ear for a few seconds, it felt like the coldness spread through my veins. The pounding of my heart became louder, it felt like I was being pushed forward while something was pressing me backward.

The tug of war on me stopped. My vision became clearer and above me suddenly appeared a white ceiling. The first face that came into my view was a doctor looking at me. He smiled at me and flicked his penlight in my eyes. I felt paralyzed but the tingling in my hands became stronger and the feeling came back.

"Hi, I'm doctor Michelson, you were out for about a month now.  Your recovery is quite remarkable." I looked around the room, my mother staring at me with tears in her eyes and my father held her as she sobbed. Tristen looked at me and happiness was evident on his face, Gabriele was also standing by my side.

He came closer and placed a kiss on my forehead. Tears were coming down his face.

"I thought you wouldn't wake up," He said, his eyes had dark circles beneath them.

"A month?" What the hell happened? A month? Did I lose a whole month?

"Yes, honey but you've healed almost completely-you're finally stable enough to be woken up." For a moment I just looked at all the people around me, my sister wasn't there.

"Where's Nichola?"

"She had to work." My brother rubbed his neck, it only meant that she was still angry at me. I tried lifting up my hand, but it fell down.

"It's going to take some time for your body to adjust again." The doctor remarked while he was jotting down something on a chart. My mother talked to me for about an hour and the others were just looking at me like I was some alien. I finally sighed loudly.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"Gabriele held my hand while stroking my palm with his thumb.

"You died." He stated plainly while avoiding looking at me.

"He means that you were in this bed for a month and in that month your heart stopped a few times," Tristen interjected. I looked at them in shock, I died.

Tristen and Gabriele exchanged a look.

"I have to go. I'll be back later. Get some rest." Tristen placed a kiss on my temple, muttering a 'bye baby sis'.

My parents talked to me for another few minutes, trying to calm me for the most part. I was freaking out about the fact that a month has past and I had no recollection as to what happened. They left Gabriele and I alone after I calmed down, for the most part, promising they'd be there later.

"How are you feeling?" I could luckily lift up my arm now, I showed him an OK sign.

"It feels so surreal, but I'm fine."

"The doctor said that you're recovering very well and that perhaps in a week you can go home after a little physical therapy."

"I really don't want to go back to that empty apartment," I stated disgruntled. Things just felt off.

"You're not, I told your parents and Tristen that I'd take care of you, it means that you're going to be staying with me until you feel that you want to go home." I tried to protest but the look on Gabriele's face told me that arguing wasn't going to change anything. I was grateful that he was going to look after me since it's hard to sit up right now and staying alone was going to be a battle.

"Where's Luca?"

"He's at Aiden's house, he has been worried about you-he has been getting nightmares again, the same I've gotten." He clenched his jaw and closed his eyes for a second like he was fighting with himself.