prologue

"CMON PAIGE, JUST TRY AND SHOOT IT

"CMON PAIGE, JUST TRY AND SHOOT IT." six year old josie said, putting her hands on her hips. currently, she was trying to teach her best friend, paige bueckers, how to play basketball. josie had been playing since she could walk basically, and decided it was time her best friend take after her lead. "jojo, you know i can barely even dribble, right?" paige sighed, picking up the ball that had her best friends name on it. "okay, but i promise you will get the hang of it. and if you completely hate it, you will never have to play again! only just watch my games, obviously." josie smiled, encouraging paige to start dribbling the ball towards the kids sized basketball hoop.

"there you go paige! i knew you could do it. you are such a natural. that's what my coach says at least." josie laughed, running up to give her friend a hug. "one day, we're gonna be on a super huge court together, and totally be amazing." she smiled, grabbing paige's hand and leading them back towards the center of the court. "okay, now a little bit faster, and get a mean face on." paige laughed, watching as josie tried to intimidate her.

"YO PAIGE, ON YOUR LEFT." josie said, running up behind paige. "how the hell did the refs not see that shit? insane." paige mumbled towards josie, and she nodded agreeing with her. "i know. travel refs are a different breed i'm telling you." she laughed, before going off to gaurd someone radom so paige could stay focused. paige had soon gotten the ball, and shortly making her way down the court before shooting it in. "let's go paige!" josie yelled, taking a look back at the score. it was 25-24 their team in the lead. it was only the beginning of the third quarter so they still had time. paige and josie gave each other a nod, knowing how to win.

that was the cool thing about them, whenever one girl was thinking about what to do, the other one already had a solution. it was their own twin telepathy, and growing up together since you were babies would do that to you. josie had distanced her self far away enough from paige on the court so that their plan wasn't obvious, but she was still where she needed to be. one of their teammates had passed the ball to paige, before paige went in and faked going for a three, then passing it to josie where she made a layup. the buzzer went off to signal that it was the end of the game, them taking home the win.

"PAIGE IS ACTUALLY SUCH AN ASS." josie said, pulling out her ponytail. "what did she do this time?" her friend, makenna asked. "first, she completely shit talks me to the entire team, and not like our usual shit talk. like fake friend shit talk." josie exclaimed, bouncing her leg angrily. "then, she talks to me about this girl i've had a thing for since the end of middle school, and turns out they are going on a date today. like what the hell?" makenna's eyes widened, knowing about her obsession with the blonde cheerleader. "maybe it was an honest mistake?" she questioned, wondering why paige would do that to her best friend. "oh no, when i confronted her about it, she told me that everything she said was true, and that she would never like someone like me anyways!" josie leaned back, swallowing the lump in her throat.

the things that the teammates told josie that paige had said were carved into her heart permanently. she's not even that good, she's only going to make it because of me. how could paige say that about her? josie was the one who was always there for paige and is the reason she is picking up a basketball in the first place. makenna walked over to the brunette and gave her a hug. "i'm so sorry jos. she'll come back around okay? you guys haven't been apart for longer than two days, just give it some time." she smiled softly, rubbing the girls back.

well, it was two years later and the only contact the girls have had is death glares, or the occasional side eye during practice. obviously, josie had still done basketball just too prove paige's point wrong...and maybe to make sure her ex-best friend was doing okay. josie loves too hard, so even though her and paige hate each other, if she needed a ride to the hospital, josie would be first volunteer. everyone had tried getting the duo back together, but neither of them would budge. paige being stubborn, and josie refusing to apologize first only fed the fire more. obviously, paige knew she was in the wrong. many people have told her that during sophomore and junior year. but now, it was the end of senior year, and paige couldn't stop thinking about the promise she had made josie all those years ago.

"paige, do you think we will go to the same college?" eight year old josie asked, looking up at her taller best friend. "obviously, your my best friend ever! i promise to never leave you behind, as long as you promise me the same." paige smiled as josie nodded her head in agreement. ever since that moment, the girls had made a mutual agreement on always being together. whether that was being on the same basketball team, partners in class, parties, sleepovers, the girls were always together. but it turns out, josie phillips was harder to forget than she was to leave. and paige bueckers found that out the hard way.

jazzie speaks !! i had sm fun writing this i love the childhood friends to enemies to lovers trope 😍

jazzie speaks !!
i had sm fun writing this i love the childhood friends to enemies to lovers trope 😍