Chapter Two

محبت کا تم سے کیا کہوں
نظر مل گئی دل دھڑکنے لگا 

mohabbat ka tum se asar kya kahun
nazar mil gai dil dhadakne lagaa
~Akbar Allahabadi

My eyes fluttered open, taking in the foreign surroundings with a little surprise. This wasn't my bed or my room. Suddenly, all of it came crashing in. I was married and in his room.

My eyes snapped towards the long figure in question, lying erect and straight on the couch with his arms crossed on his chest. Even in his sleep, his eyebrows were drawn together and his lips tightened. The couch seemed a little too small for his broad structure.

Last night, after throwing the velvet box in my lap, he left the room, leaving me bewildered behind him. After staring at the closed bedroom door for what felt like an eternity, I shook out of my trance, glancing down at the small box. No matter how hard I tried to keep the tears in, a rebellious drop slipped past my eye, and with a slight tremble in my hand, I picked up the box, quickly placing it on the bedside table. As if holding it for a second more would have burned my fingers.

With so many questions on my mind that I wanted to voice if only he had been in the room, I somehow ended up falling asleep in my sharara and heavy jewelry in the same position he had left me, my back pressed against the headpost. I don't know when he came back into the room or when he decided that my existence bothered him so much that the idea of him sharing a bed with me didn't sit right with him, and he chose the couch.

The clock struck 7:25 in the morning, forcing me to pull myself off of the bed. As much as I tried to be quiet, my bangles and anklets made sure of the opposite. I got rid of jewelry as I stood in front of the dressing table, moving on to remove the dupatta and dozens of pins holding my up-do.

He slept soundly while I set my clothes from the suitcases into his cupboard, pushing his to one side while mine graced the other. An hour later, I was showered and dressed in a long-sleeved, deep red frock that almost reached my ankle and a churidar. With very light, elegant stone work done on the neckline and border, it had a deep back, dipping just a little bit above my shoulder blades, and a fancy string holding it together.

My wet hair was thrown carelessly over my left shoulder as I stood in front of the dressing table, applying make-up. Foundation, winged eyeliner, mascara, blush, and red lipstick, matching my dress.

A small groan stole my attention, and my hand stilled on putting on gold earrings similar to the stone work. From the mirror, I watched as he rose from the couch, rubbing his neck. A tiny smirk played on my red lips.

'Serves him right.' I thought as I placed the other earring on, trying to completely ignore him, which was deemed unsuccessful as he stood up and our eyes met through the mirror.

Even in his roughed-up shalwar kameez from last night and tousled hair, he looked more handsome than any man I had ever seen in my life.

My breath hitched when his eyes moved from mine to the deep back and lingered there, cheeks turning the same shade as the dress I was wearing. In a hurry, I tossed my long, wet hair over my shoulder, partially covering my exposed skin.

That seemed to have broken him out of his trance, and he closed himself in the bathroom. A few minutes later, the sound of the shower turning on filled the room.

I finished getting ready. After blow-drying my hair, I parted it in the middle and twisted them into a low bun.

The knock on the door startled me, and I pulled on my dupatta before opening it, revealing a fresh-looking Armeena Apa adorned in a light green shalwar kameez.

"Aslam u alaikum, bhabi jaan, kaisay rahi apki raat." Her tone was slightly teasing as she pulled me into her arms for an embrace. ("Aslam u alaikum, sister-in-law, how was your night.")

"Achi." The lie slipped off my tongue easily and I gave her a smile, hoping that it was a happy one. However, I felt far from it. ("Good.)

"Ap or Zain Bhai neechay aa jaye, nashta tayar hai, or sab apka intezar ker rahay hain." She smiled and turned to leave when I gave her a nod. ("Breakfast is ready and everyone is waiting, Zain bhai and you should come down.")

I slipped on three-inch heels, planning to walk after her, but stopped in my tracks. The reason was the velvet box on the table. Grabbing the box and opening it revealed a green emerald ring with small diamonds framing it. The band also had small diamonds on it.

A bitter smile made its way onto my face as I slipped it on.

Zain's father, Haidar, mother Fareeda Begum, Armeena Apa, and younger brother Junaid were waiting in the dining room. When I walked into the dining room, Zain joined me a few minutes later, his hair wet from the shower and dressed in a two-piece suit.

His parents stood up as we entered.

"Aslam u Alaikum," I greeted and bent my head down to take the blessing of the elders.

His mother smiled brightly and pulled me into a hug. She then put her hands on Zain's face and kissed him on the forehead. "Ma sha Allah, jeetay raho. Allah tum dono ko sada khush rakhay." ("Ma sha Allah, may you live long and may Allah keeps you always happy.")

"Aslam u alaikum, bhabi jaan. Mein Junaid, inka favorite beta or apka aklota dewar." Junaid slightly bent forward, placing a hand on his chest. ("Aslam u alaikum, sister-in-law. I'm Junaid, their favorite son and your only brother-in-law.")

The sly grin playing on his face was replaced with a sheepish look when uncle patted him on the back.

"Ji, ji favorite betay, apni nashist per ja ker tasreef rakhay," Uncle laughed. ("Yes, yes favorite son, go position yourself on your chair.")

I gave him a smile as everyone sat down, Zain taking a seat to my right.

"Chalo shabash khana shuru kero," Haidar Uncle said, pointing to the table filled with different types of dishes. ("Start eating everyone.")

Armeena Apa was feeding baby Saif some mashed potatoes while Junaid spread jam on a slice of bread for himself.

My husband, however, settled in for some coffee as I sat there confused.

"Mariam Beta, why don't you have this omelet? I made it especially for you," Auntie said as she placed one on the dish.

I smiled at her, picking up my fork.

"Zain, ap logo ka phir kiya plan hai?" His mother asked, serving uncle a paratha. ("Zain, what are your plans now?")

"Kis cheez ka ma?" He questioned, putting his mug down on the table and reaching his hand out for the bread and butter. ("About what?")

"Honeymoon ka or kis ka?" Her words stopped Zain's movement, and he drew his hand back. ("Of honeymoon, what else?")

"Ma, meray pass abhi iss cheez ke leye time nahi hai, office ke abhi bohat kaam hain jinhay mein abhi aisay chor ker fazool ghoomany ghomanay mein nahi lag sakta. Excuse me, ap log nashta jari rakhay mujhay office ke zaroori kaam se bahar jana hai." His tone indicated annoyance as he stood up, grabbed his car keys, and walked out, leaving everyone stunned in his wake. ("Ma, I don't have time for such things right now. There is a lot of pending work in the office and I can't leave that for some useless vacation. Excuse me, I have to go out for some urgent office work, you guys carry on with your breakfast.")

Awkward silence filled the room and my head bent down towards my food, my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

After breakfast, I returned to my room, and my mouth fell open. All the clothes that I had set neatly with so much effort in the morning were sprawled on the floor.

"Kamina." Suppressing the urge to call him more than just this, I bent down to pick them up from the floor and dump them onto the bed. ("Rascal.")

______________
Author's Note
Don't forget to vote and let me know your views. :)
______________
~Anishkiber