Chapter Twenty-One

اٹھ کر تیرے ڈر سے کہی جانے کے نہیں ہم
محتاج کسی اور ٹھکھانے کے نہیں ہم

Uth ker tere dar se kahi janay ke nahi hum
Mohtaj kisi or thikanay ke nahi hum
~Rasheed Rampuri

"Beta jaldi se ja ker fresh ho jao, Haidar or Zain bus atay he hoon ge," Ammi said, noticing my rough dressing I had on while preparing food and arranging the house.

I nodded, turning around to leave the kitchen when she called again. "Or zara please jatay hoye Ahmad ka room dekhti jana ke Safina nay sahi se saaf kiya hai keh nahi," 

"Ji Ammi mein dekh leti hoon." I assured her.

Today, the house was buzzing with excitment as Ammi rushed around to prepare for the arrival of the special guest, or as Ammi liked to call him "Ladla". He was apparently a cousin of Zain, who after the death of his parents, when he was only six years old, had started to live with them and was Ammi's most spoiled child. After his A-levels, he continued his further studies in Brown University, from where he was now returning after completing his bachleaors.

After making sure everything was in order in the room, I quickly enterened into mine. Taking out a new dress from the cupboard, I hurridly took a shower and wore the light pink suit with elegant embroidary done over it. I blow dried my hair, curling them into wavy hair, before moving on to apply make up. Which consisted of my normal, light foundation, eyeliner, blush and mascara. Lastly, applying my lipstick, I gave myself a an overall look into the mirror before nodding before picking up my matching printed chiffon duppata from the bed, I walked out towards the living room where Ammi also sat in fresh clothes with Coal watching some drama on tv.

Just as I was about to sit beside her, the door to the living room opened and Zain entered in. He was dress in light blue buttoned up shirt tucked into his grey dress pants, his sleeves rolled till his elbow showing off his macular arms. The arms I have been caged in many times and was fimilar with. My haert sped up at the sight of him and I could feel my face heating up. Our eyes met for a second before both of us looked away.

When I had finally taken off my eyes from him, I noticed Abu entering in with a smiling tall man, who seemed only a few years older than me. Ammi quickly rushed to his side, engulfing him in her arms, before pulling away.

"Mera shehzada," She sighed, lovingly taking his face into her hands.

"Kaisi hain, meri Diana?" He spoke for the first time. His voice deep, betraying his boyish features.

"Apki Diana theek hai per apko bohat miss kiya kerti thi." She said, tears forming into her eyes.

"Ab mein aa gaya hoon toh ab yeh ansu kaisay." He gently wiped her eyes and she nodded smiling through her tears.

"Ap dono ma betay  ka ho gaya ho toh Mariam se bhi mila do apnay ladlay ko." Abu intruppted, laughing a little before sitting down on the sofa and I awkwardly smiled when Ammi and the man's attention turned towards me.

"Mariam yeh hain humaray ladlay sahabzade, Ahmad Khurram. Or yeh hain apke Zain bhaiya ki dulhan, Mariam." She intoduced us both and I smiled at him as he stepped forward.

"Per you can call me A.K, everyone in U.S does." He said, michief twinkling in his eyes as ran a hand through his hair, mocking Shah Rukh Khan pose, when Ammi slapped him on the back of his head, he straightened up.

"Bohat shareer ho gaye ho." She said pulling his ear, and his mouth gaped open.

"Acha nah Aani kaan toh choray, bisti feeling aa rahi hai." He whined, and Ammi laughed.