Chapter Seventeen

تیری قربت میں گزرے ہوئے کچھ لمحے ہیں
دل کو تنہائی کا احساس دلانے والے

Teri qurbat mein guzaray hue kuch lamhe hain
Dil ko tanhai ka ehsaas dilanay walay
~Shahzad Ahmad

We sat inside the bridal room in the hall. Armeena Apa was dress in her maroon bridal lehanga, with heavy golden work done all over it. Her make up and hair were flawless and she wore pure gold jewellery set, looking as beautiful as an angel. Meanwhile I was in short fancy tea pink shirt, stone work done all over it. The matching culotte had the same stone work done on the bottom. A five inches platform heels adorning my feet and my hair styled in a messy curly bun at my nape. The heavy organza duppata difficult for me to handle in my arms.

Zain stepped inside and I stood up, my silver earring swinging from the moment. Our eyes met and his gaze swept over me and a blush crept over my cheeks.

He came closer and Armeena Apa caustically stood to her feet, her hands clutching the hefty lengha. Zain cupped her cheek before pulling him his arms and she broke down. Her dark Mehndi adorned hand leaving her lengha to clench on his black dress coat, as she sniffled in his chest, trying her best not to cry for the fear of ruining her makeup.

"Murad tumhara bohat khayal rakhay ga, Armeena." He whispered as he patted her on the back of her head before pulling away and kissed her on her forehead.

I saw his eyes as they shone with tears before he blinked them away and our eyes met, staying connected for a split second before he nodded at me to follow him as he walked out of the room.

I passed Armeena Api a smile, snatching a tissue from the box I handed it to her as she gratefully smiled, dabbing her eyes with it and I stepped out behind him, quietly closing the door and striding towards Zain who was waiting for me. I noticed that with heels I was almost eye level with him.

"Barat anay wali hai, toh tum hall mein aa jao." He informed me and I bobbed my head stepping forward when suddenly I lost my balance, my ankle twisting and I felt myself falling.

Zain quickly clutched my hand, stabilising me and I wobbled on my heels before fully gaining my balance. I left out a sign of relief but my cheeks flamed up when I saw his amusement filled eyes with a hint of smile on his face.

I huffed and tried to jerk my hand free but his grip tightened on it, dragging me behind him and I watched in awe as we stepped into the guest filled wedding hall together.

The cameras flashed capturing the moment with our adjoined hands and probably my dazed look.

He stopped, turning around and our eyes locked. My mind somewhere else as I stared into his eyes. His eyebrow arched in question, mine drew together in confusion before his eyes trailed to our joined hands and I followed his gaze, quickly snatching my hand away when I realised that now it was my hand gripping his while he had loosen his fingers some while back.

I cleared my throat, wiping a hand down my shirt as I moved towards Ammi Abu who were standing near the giant doors of the hall awaiting the barat.

"Ab dhiyan se," He called after me and my steps fluttered before resuming again, ignoring him.

The barat arrived showered with rose petals as Ammi Abu received them. It was only Murad bhai with his elder relatives and cousins. He was the only child and his parents had died in a car crash when he was only three years old.

Murad bhai sat down on the sofa on the stage dressed in an off-white shirwani and again Saif claimed on Murad's bhai lap as his own as he rested his back against the chest with bhai's hand around his stomach holding him from falling off.