Chapter Fifteen

دونوں جہاں تیری محبت میں ہار کر
وو جا رہا ہے کوئی شبِ غم گزار کے

Dono jaha teri muhabat mein har ker
Wo ja raha hai koi shab-e-ghum guzar ke
~Faiz Ahmad Faiz

Armeena Api's wedding date was set a month from that day. Ammi and I became so busy in the preparations that we were hardly home, which meant that I had very little interaction with Zain. We would leave near the afternoon only to return back around at midnight. From deciding on the dresses and getting them stitched to jewellery, shoes, make up appointments, everything had become so hectic.

Three weeks passed by in a blink of an eye and from today Armeena Apa's wedding functions were starting. It was her mayoun and was an all ladies functions set up in the leaving room. The men of the house were to be in their rooms until the event was over.

Junaid had returned from his northern areas tour a week after the talk in Ammi Abu's room and was now currently downstairs with my husband looking over last minute arrangements.

I looked at myself in the mirror one more time dressed in a long yellow pashwaas, with neat colourful embroidery done over it. The matching coloured duppatta pinned over my shoulder. My hair were tied in a thick braid with garland of jasmine flowers wrapped around it. I had gone for a more natural look on my face, with only foundation, blush and eyeliner. The fake eyelashes widening my eyes, giving them an alluring look. It was Ammi's order that I should be dressed up heavy because I was also a new bride and the eldest daughter-in-law of the family.

I stepped into my khussa and carefully holding the long pashwaas in my hand, I walked downstairs.

The living room was decorated in yellow and jasmine flowers, smelling like them. White sheet spread on the floor and cushions laid over them. A wooden swinge was set against the wall with yellow flower garlands wrapped around it. A table placed in front of it with boxes of desi sweets, mehandi and oil.

I excitedly looked over at the decorations and sighing as I realised how I never really got to experience this stage of my life.

A maid came towards me informing me about the girls we had called in for mehnadi. Nodding at the maids to let the girls come in I turned around, finding Zain standing at the door, his eyes deeply staring at me. He looked handsome in his off white shalwar kameez with his sleeves folded till his elbow. His arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against the doorframe.

I raised an eyebrow at him when he didn't turn his gaze away and kept on looking. My confident look turned to confusion before I huffed turning my attention to the mehandi girls that walked in. I instructed them their assigned work making them sit on the cushions and walked towards Armeena Api's room finding her sitting in-front of her dressing table, the beautician adding final touches to her make up.

She looked beautiful in her yellow anarkarli frock, heaving colourful embroidery done over it. Her duppata set neatly over her head and hear tied in a braid with garland wrapped around it. Her makeup similar to mine except a little more elements to it. She was wearing fresh flower jewellery that made her look complete.

She glanced at me and I smiled at her through the mirror.

"Ma sha Allah Api, ap bohat pyari lag rahi hain."
I said, making her blush a little and duck her head down.

I picked up Saif in my arms from the bed where he played with Coal. It was as if Coal was his pet now and I didn't mind sharing it with him.

"Pease Saif ko kuch khila dena, issi shayad phir bhook lag gai ho gi." She said and I nodded.