Chapter Six

تیری قربت میں گزارے ہوئے کچھ لمحے ہیں
دل کو تنہائی کا احساس دلانے والے

Teri qurbat mein guzare hoye kuch lamhe hain
Dil ko tanhai ka ehsaas dilanay walay
~Shahzad Ahmad

"Side per hoon, mujhay bhi letna hai." I stood over him as he lay on the charpai with an arm placed behind his head as a pillow.

"Ghar mein yah gaari mein so so ker sakoon nahi aya jo yaha bhi mujhay bearam kerna hai," he said, without opening his eyes.

"Ap peechay hutt rahay hain yah mein iss choti si jaga per he lait ker apko or ziada bearam kerun?" Placing my hands on my waist, I glared down at his handsome face.

He opened one eye and peeked at me. Then, finally sighing, he moved aside, leaving enough space for me to lay down. I removed my chiffon dupatta and buttoned up his coat, and his eyes followed my movement. Something passed through them before it was quickly replaced with his usual stern look.

I lay down in the small place, our bodies barely fitting on the charpai, and turned my back towards him.

Zain must have been really tired from the very little sleep he got last night and driving because, when I turned my head to look at him, he had dozed off. My gaze on his face stayed for some time, taking in his sleeping form, before I turned my head back. My eyes stayed open as I listened to the rain still falling hard, splattering against the roof.

I stayed up listening to the sounds around me until my eyes fluttered shut, and not long after, I was off to dreamland with the body beside me providing warmth and a sense of security.

______________

In the middle of the night, his phone rang, startling me from my sleep, and I opened my eyes, trying to adjust to the almost dark room. The rain must have stopped pouring because there was no sound indicating that it had. The weight of something on me registered in my mind, and I looked down, stunned at the position Zain and I were in.

Even though I had slept with my back to him, the cold must have forced me to snuggle in his warm body, trying to find as much heat as possible, and Zain had turned towards me, placing one muscular arm around my waist while the other was under my head, providing a pillow for it. My hand interlocked with his. In this position, Zain was spooning me from behind, our bodies tied close together. Coal slept soundly at a distance from our feet. His phone was placed behind us, making it impossible for me to grab it without removing his grip from around me, so I debated for some time.

Biting my lip, I slowly freed my hand from his and placed it on his arm, trying to remove it from over my stomach, but to no avail, as it only tightened and he pulled me further into his body. I carefully turned my body around, this time facing him. My eyes fixed on his face, and I lost all sense of my surroundings, forgetting that the phone was still ringing in the background.

I stared at his face and took in all his features. This time he slept calmly, with no frown lines on his forehead. I raised my free hand and brought it closer to his face, lightly creasing his cheek, then the nose, and moving towards his thin lips, sealed together in deep sleep. When his eyes shot open, his eyebrows drew together in confusion as they looked at me and then at my hand near his lips. Then, the next thing I knew, I was pushed back, falling from the charpai and onto my back.

A small scream tore from my lips, and I sat up on the ground, rubbing my injured behind, which was most injured during the fall. Coal woke up to the sound, jumping down and coming to my side, rubbing his body with my arm.