Chapter Sixteen

مہندی نے غضب دونوں طرف آگ لگا دی ہے
تلووں میں ادھر اور ادھر دل میں لگی ہے

Mehndi ne ghazab dono taraf aag laga di hai
Talvo mein udhar or idhar dil mein lagi hai
~Unknown

Today was their Mehndi. The set up for it was done outside in the lawn. Zain and Junaid had been going over the arrangements for tonight since the morning.

I stood in front of the full length mirror in the parlour while Armeena Api got her make up and hair done. For today, I was dressed in a green sharara with silver work done on it. The dress had a heavy orange duppata pinned on my right shoulder. Heavily make up done face and my hair let loose over my back in curls. For accessories, I wore heavy jhumkas and a round binding pinned in between my middle parting.

"Bride ready hain," One of the workers informed me and I nodded at her as I dialled the drivers number on the phone.

"Bhai, ap gaari gate per le aye." I told him as soon as he picked up.

"Bibi, wo toh sahab nay mujhay ghar bula liya hai, per apko lenay Junaid bhai aaye hain." He replied and I switched the phone off before I went to check up on Armeena Api.

I found her sitting on one of the sofa and today she looked even more beautiful. Dressed in a yellow lengha choli with light golden work down all over it. Her hair were pulled back in a loose bun on her nape and the duppata set over her head.

"Bohat pyari," I commented and she looked up at me giving me a stiff smile.

I opened my mouth to say something to probably calm and reassure her when my phone rang. I held my finger up, picking up Junaid's call.

"Bhabhi ap or Armeena bahar aa jaye." He said before he cut the call soon after.

"Chalay?" I asked Armeena Api and spread my hand forward which she grasped in hers, her grip tight.

She took a deep breath before she stood up handling her lengha and we walked out, one of the assistant following with our things in her hand.

We came out and instead of Junaid, Zain was leaning against the side of his car with his arms crossed over his chest. For today he was dressed in a white shalwar kameez, khaki colour waist coat. He stood straight when he saw us approach and opened the backseat door, carefully making armeena Api sit in, before closing it shut.

He flipped up the trunk and took our things from the assistant, placing them in while I sat in the front seat.

A few minutes later we were on road.

The car was filled with awkward silence. Armeena Apa probably too tensed and in her thoughts to care about it.

I peeked at Zain from the corner of my eye as he drove with his one hand on the steering while the other one was on the gear stick. My gaze fell on the mehndi stain on his palm and a deep blush mades it way on my face as I remembered how he had got it. I looked at the smudged mehndi on the heel of my palm as I thought about the yesterday's event.

Zain had come in for the second time with Haider Uncle and Junaid so they could do the rasam too. When they were done the aunties had flocked around Zain holding him hostage.

"Tumnay toh humay moka he nahi diya keh tumharay hath bhi peelay keray." One of the elder aunties said as she took some mehndi on the pad of her finger.

Zain shook his head, smiling as he separated himself from them holding his hands up in surrender. The auntie moved towards him and he backed away coming to stand besides me as I stood aside from everyone drying my menndi.

He look at me before he quickly took my elbow in his hand, pulling me closer and rubbed the heel of his palm with mine before holding up his palm showing it to them.

"Le lag gai mehndi," He said and I looked at his face furious at him for ruining my design before gazing down at smudged corner with sorrow.

"Le ay wi koi gal hoi," The aunties laughed as Zain escaped from the room.

"Yeh aj kal Zain ko howa kiya hai." I thought as we neared the house and he parked the car outside.

He helped Armeena Apa out of the car and we made her sit in her room before coming outside again to look at the last minute arrangements before the guests arrived.

Zain and I entered into the tent together where Murad was already standing with some of his friends dressed in a white shalwar kameez. Zain joined them, slapping Murad at the back of his head.

"Tameez ker le ab toh, tera behanoi banay wala hoon salay." I heard Murad say and Zain's laugh echoes behind.

______________

The guests were filled in the tent, the event had started an hour ago. Armeena api was sitting beside Murad with her hands nervously twisting together, while Murad bhai was sitting stiffly with a bouncing Saif in his lap. When Zain had brought Saif with him, he had started to whine in his hold seeing his 'Baba', so Murad had taken him in his arms.

I smiled. Murad bhai and Armeena Api with Saif looked like one complete family and I silently prayed for their happiness.

"Meray sath dance keray ge?" I inched closer to Zain shouting over the loud music, my eyes on their cousins dancing on the stage, knowing full well the reason I was asking this question to him was because of his good mood with me in the last days.

"Apni tara pagal samjha hai?" He scoffed.

"Lo agar mehndi mein bhai bhabi he nah nachay toh mehfil kaisay sajay gi," I whined.

He didn't reply and I pouted my lip as I moved towards the stage for my performance which would be the last of the event. I took one last look at Zain and found him already staring at me. I pleaded with my eyes for him to join me but he turned his head away and focused on the stage. My song played in the background and I took over the stage.

"Munda Thoda Offbeat Hai,
Par Kudiya De Naal Bahut Sweet Hai,
Munda Thoda Offbeat Hai,
Par Kudiya De Naal Bahut Sweet Hai."

I moved my body gracefully, lip synching to the lyrics with a smile on my face. Twisting my hands and waltzing around the stage I let the song take over me. By chance my gaze fell on the now blank space where Zain was standing and my eyebrows drew together but I paid no heed to him, as I continued dancing.

"Dhongi Sa Ye Bada Dhith Hai,
Viral Ho Gaya Ye Tweet."

Suddenly a figure came behind me bumping his shoulder with mine and my body jerked foward and I stood still in shock as the elder brother of the bride replaced me. Zain took over from there, lip synching and dancing to the beat.

"Par Phool Wool Karne Me Cool
Tu Badi Tez Katari Hai."

With surprise filled eyes, I let out a laugh before I moved on to my part.

"Shagan Teri Ki,
Lagan Teri Ki Humne Kar Di Taiyari Hai."

I waved their cousins in who joined us gladly, filling the stage. I pulled Ammi Abu in too who were standing besides the stage, clapping. I paid no heed to their protest before leaving them on the stage, I moved towards the bride and groom as I dragged them too and made them stand in the center awkwardly as everybody moved around them on the beat.

"Nachde Ne Saare Ral-mil Ke,
Aaj Hil-dul Ke,
Le Saare Ke Saare Nazare,"

"Nachde Ne Saare Ral-mil Ke,
Aaj Hil-dul Ke,
Le Saare Ke Saare Nazare."

I stepped in front on Zain as he did his bhangra step and looked up at him. Our eyes met before his lips tiled up in a small smile and I bit my lip before lip synching the next words at him.

"Khasma nu khanay."

______________
Author's Note
I know, I know. I'm very late... again. But please bear with me guys. Life hasn't been really easy for me. :(
Hope you enjoyed the chapter. <3
______________
~Anishkiber