Chapter Ten

جُدا کرے گے نا ہم دل سے حسرتِ دل کو
عزیز کیوں نا رکھے زندگی کے حاصل کو

Juda keray ge nah hum dil se hasrat-e-dil ko
Azeez kiyun nah rakhay zindagi ke hasil ko
~Wahshat Raza Ali Kalkatvi

I found him seating on the sofa when I entered in the room. His laptop was placed in front of him on the coffee table and his hands were moving over the keyboard speedily. I slammed the door to gain his attention and he gave me a side glance, lips forming into a smirk in a mocking manner.

I stomped over to him, throwing my hand bag beside him, which he eyed with disdain and glued my hand to my waist, looking down at his stupidly handsome face.

"Sharam toh nah ai nah jawan jahan biwi ko akaila chortay hoye?" I sneered.

"Tumhay yeh harqatay kertay hoye aa rahi hain jo mujhay aye?" He peered up from his eyelashes, not giving me his full attention.

"Mujhay kiyun aye gi, haq halal ki biwiyo walay kaam ker rahi hoon," I claimed.

"Haq halal ki biwi?" He scoffed, crossing his arms on his chest, looking at me as he leaned back.

"Nikkah sath walay parosiyo nay toh nahi kiya." I said sarcastically.

"Nahi khair yeh badnasibi mein kisi keh leye nahi chahu ga," He muttered turning back to his work.

"Badnasibi toh wo hai jo mohtaram apki car keh sath hoi hai," I tsked, crossing my arms over my chest and looked at him in triumph.

His hands on the keyboard stilled for a second, eyes widening as my words registered in his mind and his head shot up, finding the glee on my face he slowly rose to his feet.

"Kia kiya tumnay?" His hands curled up in fist and his jaw clenched hard.

"Mein kia kerun gi?" I shrugged, faking innocence.

All of a sudden he pulled me by my arm and I slammed against his chest, my one hand coming to rest on his chest, the other was twisted behind my back.

"Pehlay to ap yeh har baat per mera bazu marorna band keray," I sighed, my heartbeat fluttering at our closeness.

"Yeh bazu tab tab muray ga jab jab tum apni yeh harqatay jari rakho gi," He tighned his grip in warning and this time I didn't struggle against him.

"Faltu ka hai?" I whispered, my hand creepy up his chest.

"Haan." His eyes boring into mine.

"Dhiyan se Zain Sahab, kahi mujhay yeh nah lagnay lagay keh ap ko meri kurbat pasand hai." I breathe, my index finger trailing up his neck.

His free hand shot up, clasping my hand in his, stopping me mid action. What I did next surprise him as much as it surprised me because it purely came out reflex.

I rose to my toes and placed my lips on his cheek, my eyes closing on their own record and I let my emotions take over me. His body stilled for a moment, eyes widening every so slightly and his grip on my arm loosening.

My lips lingered on his skin, the light stubble on his face prickling my chin.

My eyes widened and I hurriedly pulled away, realizing what I had just done. Our eyes clashed with each other, fighting a battle of their own. Something flickered in his eyes before it was gone as soon as it had came and he pushed me back, storming out of the room not before giving me one last glare.

The door slammed behind him and I covered my face with my hands, a blush creeping over my cheeks as I mentally slapped myself on acting so foolishly.

"Stupid, stupid Maryam." I muttered to myself as I shook my head.

That night he didn't return home.

______________

"Zain, tumhari gaari ko kiya howa? Raat ko atay hoye meri uss per nazar parh gai thi." Abu said as we sat on the dinning table having breakfast and everyone looked up from their plates, turning their attention towards Zain. Well, except for little Saif who was sitting in his mother's lap busy chewing on her lawn dupatta.

"Yeh ap apni baho se puchay." He answered busily, raising one shoulder in a shrug and pointed his fork towards me, before turning back to his omelette.

My hand moment came to a halt and I looked at him alarmingly, not expecting him to quite literally throw me under the bus for something, well I did do but that's not the point.

"Abu..." I started, squirming under their gaze as they awaited my answer. A tear of cold sweat formed on my forehead and I mentally glared at Zain's form who took a bite of his breakfast, looking at me in anticipation, his eyes smirking at him and I felt him holding back a smile.

"Abu, Zain nay mujhay force kiya tha keh mein gaari chala ker dekhun or mujhse lag gai thi." I quickly said, tossing all the blame on Zain who looked at me amusingly.

Abu stared at me a few seconds, then a smile broke out his face and he started laughing, shaking his head at me. Soon Ammi and Armeena apa joined in giggling and Saif mimicked their action, letting out a loud bubbly laugh.

I let out a sigh of relief and looked at them as their laughter died down.

"Toh kiya howa. Cheez thi, ho gaya nuksaan. Iss mein itna pareeshan honay wali kiya baat hai." He assured me and then turned towards Zain, "Le jao showroom or sahi kerwa lao."

"Ji, mein murad ko keh doon ga," Zain nodded.

"Nahi, Murad aj busy hai, mujhay ussay kuch kaam hai tum gaari khud le jao. Waisay bhi Junaid ghar nahi, nahi toh ussay keh deta." He said, mentioning Junaid, who was out of Lahore with his friends on a trip to Northern Areas.

"Ji behtar, Abu." Zain replied, his jaw clenched and he looked at me, his eyes throwing draggers at me. All of a sudden pain shot through my right foot and my eyes widened in shock, barely able to conceal the shriek of pain.

The bastard had stomped on my foot, but I wasn't something to leave favours unpaid. With every force I had in me I rammed into his shin from under the table and my pointed shoe coming in contact with his leg and a grimace formed on his lips, agony evident on his face as he tried to keep a straight face on for the sake the people sitting around us. Thankfully nobody had noticed our little ordeal.

I smiled at him, not letting him see an ounce of discomfort on my face but reality, pain was surging through my foot as if small needles were being pricked into it.

Damn him.

"Chalay Abu?" Zain inquired, his jaw clenched together as he very discreetly wiped off his leg for any dirt with his hand under the table.

"Haan, aisa kero tum apni gari nikalo mein ata hoon. Pehlay mujhay office chorna phir apni car theek kerwanay le jana." Abu said, as he took a sip from his orange juice.

"Ji." Zain stood up, a grim forming on his face as pain must have shot through his leg and he walked out of the hall. As he stepped away, I noticed a very slight, barely there limp in his walk and even in pain I sniffled my laugh, placing a hand on lips.

Abu wiped his hand on a tissue and placing a forehead kiss on little Saif, he followed behind Zain.

The three of us spent the rest of the breakfast chatting and laughing on Saif antics.

______________
Author's Note.
AHHHHH, they kissed. We'll technically on the cheek but that is still progress. 🤌🏻 Pleaseee with voting let me know your views on the chapter, it really encourages me. Plus- In sha Allah now I'll be updating more frequently.
______________
~Anishkiber