Chapter 3 - Orientation

Sierra

The lecture hall is empty. It could easily fit a hundred, if not two hundred students. It's a small auditorium shaped room. All of us cluster to the bottom, taking up two front rows between the twenty of us.

We're speaking amongst ourselves. Multiple conversations going on at once. Until we hear a friend of ours in the back, "Catch."

He throws up a paper ball in the air. A little game we like to play when we're all bored in class. I lean back, smiling.

"I got it," One of our friends calls out. She whisks her hand, a gust of wind propels the paper ball further in the air.

"I'm next." A Warlock twirls his wrist, we watch as the paper ball grows a flower. Then two. A few of us smiling at how the paper slowly gets encapsulated by vines and flowers.

Alejandro smirks, he twirls his fingers. The flowers wither as he sucks the water out of them.

"That's just cruel, Ale." A girl glares at him.

"No, this is." I flick my fingers together. Pulling into the pit of Magic I feel in the depths of my body. My eyes zeroing in on the ball of paper, weeds, and water. It bursts into flames.

The water hissing away into steam. The flowers disintegrating, and the bits of paper left fall to the ground in ashes.

A little bit of laughter and amusement spreads through our cohort. Even Alejandro chuckles behind me. "You always have to ruin it," Alejandro tells me.

I shrug, turning back towards the front of the class. To my side, I realize that Evan is staring at all of us. His eyes flickering to where the ball used to be and to each of us. Almost like he can't believe how Magic works. I think he's never seen it in person—the amazement is clearly written on his face.

I'm just about to say something to him when we hear the main doors open. Our lecture hall quickly comes to a hush as soon as we feel an energy—an aura. It feels familiar. Vaguely—very vaguely—to what King Aiden's aura is like. It's intense and instantly draws our eyes to the man walking in.

Alpha Matthew Vale. The Alpha of the Valley.

He draws our eyes straight at him as he walks to the front of the class. Even I can't help looking him up and down. His button up shirt has its sleeves rolled up to showcase the tattoos on his left hand and arm. On his nose is a pair of thick black rimmed glasses that make him look like Clark Kent. He sets down a briefcase on the table, half-sitting as he tilts his head in our direction. A soft smile on his lips.

"We're just waiting for—" He says warmly.

"I'm here," Luna Mia runs into the lecture hall. In her arms is a small stack of papers. She smiles brightly at all of us, starting to hand the documents into the crowd so we can pass it around. "Sorry, the printer was acting up."

"Hey Tia Mia," Evan winks and waves at the Luna.

"Hey Evan," Mia smiles at him as she takes a step towards Alpha Matthew.

My eyes flicker over the Luna of the pack. She looks...adorable. In a plaid neutral dress, a short sleeve black shirt underneath it. Some cute ankle boots that give her a bit more height against her Mate who even sitting down, is taller than her. I can't help but smile as I gaze between her and her Matthew. They both have a matching aesthetic—dark academia. It's heartwarming.

Once the shuffling of our papers dies down, Matthew puts his hand out, giving the floor to Mia. "All yours, gorgeous."

She smiles brightly, turning to us.