Chapter 5 - Brothers

Alexander

"Oh Alex," Monty comes into my room. Instantly pulling me away from my dreams. My eyes snapping open at the sudden intrusion.

Typically, I would be annoyed. But I was having a dark dream. I wouldn't even consider them nightmares anymore. The nightmares were the ones I had when I was younger. They gave me cold sweats and would have me waking up screaming.

These are just dreams now. They're peaceful and I can sleep through them. Even if they are a bit darker than normal. In this one, there was a river of blood. It was snaking its way through the snow. It practically glowed against the pristine white. It was still warm which meant it carved right through like a knife with butter.

I didn't hear any screaming, which is odd. Usually when I dream, I hear cries and screams and yells. I see life fleeting away from the eyes of everyone I've killed.

I did hear drums.

I always hear drums.

Monty kicks off his shoes. Pulling the shirt off his back and stripping down to his boxers. "I'm in love," He says rather dramatically. I can't help but wonder how much he's had to drink.

I sit up in my bed, staring at my brother like he's lost his mind. I raise my eyebrow at him as soon as he looks my way. Silently telling him, You fall in love every other week.

"This one is different," He raises his finger like it makes all that of a difference.

I watch him in utter boredom as he launches himself next to me. Letting out a dramatic sigh while keeping his laced fingers behind his head. Staring up at the ceiling like it's the stars back home.

"This one is going to hurt," Monty tells me. "I can feel it. But you know, hurt away. I don't care. Burn baby, burn."

I stare at him in confusion. And for once in my life, the next words out of me flow out in absolute grace. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Today was Monty's eighteenth birthday. When we left for the Valley, Bianca and I already gave him his gift this year. Leaving the Sierra is always a journey but since Monty decided to join me, we opted on flying down the mountainside.

My wolf wasn't appreciative of my decision. He hates flying and I probably should have taken him on a run down the mountain to get out all his pent-up aggression. But the views from Monty's helicopter are unmatched. Besides, Montgomery loves flying. Helicopters, planes, drones.

On my sixteenth birthday, I nearly massacred an entire town. On his, I bought him a stunt airplane so he could do loops, corkscrews, hammerheads, and whatever else he wanted in the air. It was fun—watching Bianca finally fail at something—keeping her food in.

I know Bianca and I would have incredibly depressing and boring lives if not for our younger brother. He breathes out fresh air that keeps us from drowning. Because no matter how difficult things became for us, we were always together for Monty.

There are a lot of mistakes I've made in my life. A lot of people I've hurt. But at least I can look at Montgomery and know that I didn't mess that up. That I was able to raise a boy, who had no real parents. And he turned out...good.

Not just good in the sense that he did what we told him to. But good because he helps others. His calling has always been to help others. He certainly didn't get that from me.

He was so excited when we first arrived to the Valley. I'm extremely familiar with this pack. Matthew once offered me a position here to take classes, but I didn't have the heart to tell him then that we have our own education system in the Sierra. Besides, I can't leave my pack.