Chapter 4 - Blue Eyes

Sierra

"Welcome to your first day of one of my all-time favorite courses," Professor Matthew tells us. He's slightly pacing back and forth in the classroom. Smiling brightly as he glances at the full class.

His tattoos clearly visible. His dark hair messy. Radiant green eyes staring at all of us.

Slowly, Matthew lectures us. "By the end of this semester, you will have a well-rounded understanding of our history. The history of how werewolves came to be..."

He pauses.

"During this course, I want you all to ask yourselves, What are we as a society? Who are we? And why are we this way? Wolves have long played a role in countless cultures throughout the ages and through the world. So before you decide to write this off as a petty core course, I'll remind you all, I'm very very close to the Dean. One snore from you in my class and you'll end up in my pillow talks with her. She doesn't like it when I pout over snorers."

We all can't help it and laugh softly. Alpha Matthew does have a way with words. And he smiles a lot like his Mate.

We've only been here a solid two days, but my friends and I have already spoken to several wolves. Sometimes they'll just come up to us while we're walking through campus. Welcoming us with smiles or hugs.

It catches us off guard because...well the Palace wasn't like this at all. It was quite segmented by species and here, it actually does feel like they're warm to us. Despite being Wiccans.

Last night, after our orientation, our entire cohort spent the day by the lake. There are free canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards that the public are free to use. Some of us were swimming in the water. We watched werewolf students splashing about—having a great time.

While Alejandro and I were kayaking, we saw a rope swing hanging from an old tree. I was incredibly impressed to see students in their wolf forms. Swinging from the rope with their jaws and mouths before landing in the water. Shifting back and screaming, Whoo! into the air.

At one point, a few of us kayaked to the center of the lake. Alejandro dipped his hand into the water. He created an innocent whirlpool—nothing crazy. All of our little kayaks started swirling around like some terrible ride at a water park. But we loved it, and we kept laughing until we begged him to stop because one of our friends was about to puke her guts out.

It made us all laugh like crazy. Seeing how green her face turned. She flicked off Alejandro, striking some light in his direction that blinded him momentarily.

"It's not funny," Penny said holding onto her mouth.

"It's hilarious, you look like a cartoon character." Alejandro lent back in our kayak and nearly flipped us over.

Last night, most of us stayed late to sit around a campfire that I started. We played around with our Magic. Normal things we liked to do when we weren't studying or in class. I was lying on Alejandro's thigh, looking up at the stars while Avery played her cute little ukulele.

We were all singing together. Stupid songs but those that we knew well. Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Party in the USA. A few wolves joined us from their night runs.

I grabbed a marshmallow at one point, holding it between my fingers and staring at it. Letting the fire within me burn as I made sure to crisp it until it was perfectly golden. A wolf saw me do it. She asked me politely if I could make one for her.

That's how I ended up being the official marshmallow toaster the rest of the night. But I didn't mind. It's simple Magic and golden marshmallows are the best.