12) Dinner

The hold on her earrings dropped for the second time in the last five minutes as she juggled between choosing the perfect match with her plain yellow saree with a rich blue border

The hold on her earrings dropped for the second time in the last five minutes as she juggled between choosing the perfect match with her plain yellow saree with a rich blue border. The halter neck blouse felt suffocating but the lack of time made it impossible for her to choose another dress for today.

Clenching her fingers, she tried calming her heart as it beat at an abnormal speed as an after-effect of today's events.

The orphanage was a cluster of chaos breaking into one, leaving her disheveled as she was left confused with the open ends, and finding the strings to tie up was taking a toll on her. She felt panic rush back as the events flashed.

She had to tell someone about this or the situation would swallow her alive.

Someone had to take up the reigns from her, she was failing holding the pieces back.

There was a child missing whose records were cleared, flushed to non-existence. She had taken the child herself to the place just 3 days back on her way to the orphanage. She had found the boy of age four crying sitting behind his dead mother. She had called the medics who cleared the body and NGO workers who enrolled him in the Orphanage. She had signed those documents but now there were missing, and so was the child.

The body of the woman was cremated the same day and the ashes were disposed in the ocean which hid plenty of secrets, just like that woman.

She remembers his innocent black beady eyes staring back at her as she explained to him what had happened. She took him under and now that boy was nowhere to be found.

Her assistant, Sheetal was equally flabbergasted as she had dialed Dhwani this evening when she went to check up on him. The orphanage administration was clueless about his whereabouts. The security was shocked as no one crossed the gated campus and none entered from outside that could result in suspicion.

It was fishy and she had a hunch.

Picking any random pearls, she wore them with shaky fingers. After dinner, she will talk to Anirudh. He was the only person who could help her.

Rashi was an option but today Dhwani had tested her limits and no way she will be willing to listen without a bucketful of taunts and tagging her as incompetent.

She would rather talk to the man she shared her room with.

He seemed easy to approach.

She stood up at once but fell back as a shiver of pain crossed her skull, making her dizzy. She held onto the vanity table in support as the world spun.

"No, not today. Please." She silently begged stabblizing her breath and holding on to her head as the wave passed.

"Bhabhi"

She cringed at the loud call from the door followed by knocks.

"Be slow, Dhwani. It will be alright." She talked to herself as her vision kept oscillating between clear and blurriness.