33) Parents

(I think Mrunal suits a perfect description for Uttara

(I think Mrunal suits a perfect description for Uttara. You may imagine anyone you want.)

■ ■ ■ 

Mumma: Elixir residency

Mumma: Elixir residency. 3rd Floor at 8 o'clock. I will you see then, honey.

The text sat heavily on her phone. The weight of words was no less than the anticipation of seeing the dinner being unfolded with people who were supposed to be her safe place. Her first home - her parents. Her first protectors in this world but the very people who had their backs turned to her.

Now that her chauffeur maneuvered his way inside the luxurious resort, Uttara couldn't help but feel the anxiety peering at her from all those years. Those years of constant efforts she had put in order to salvage some of the remnants of the relationship she shared with the two people who were her everything until they backed out from being her anything.

She had almost bailed out on this impromptu dinner invite extended by her mother, yet the little hope of receiving some acceptance from them on what she has achieved made her dress up and drive here. Choosing a simple dress for the dinner, she kept her hair and makeup minimal seeing how her father detests pretense.

Irony, her mother loves it. She would never show a crack in her family to the world, while her father would walk out rather than create a scene. He was an aristocratic retired judge who had a lot more morals than the smiles his children owned.

Husband: I will be late, Tara but do wait for me.

Laughing at the insinuating threat in his 9-word text made her smile, almost wiping the traces of pain. However, it was gone as quickly as it came.

She felt the guilt course through her chest. Vidyut has scheduled surgeries and she may have intentionally omitted to inform him about her dinner plans with her parents. She feared the unsaid questions from him. What was she to tell him? How could she explain to him why her parents didn't want him to join, or why did they never contact her before in the last 6 months that they had lived in Pune?