40) Life

Not old, but a cameo from my future book. 

A life without Uttara for Vidyut's wasn't even a nightmare

For, a nightmare is still a dream but he never wished to live without her. Never envisioned it, or to be exact, it was never happening to him. He could flip days into nights to create a way out for him. He could let the stars crash, let this entire universe combust into gigantic flames before it ever, ever, took place. He may be a powerless human, a man sitting in the narrow streets of one small country, on a planet that was one in a million, and an unidentifiable molecule of the cosmos.

He could be nothing in the vast infinity, yet he held the conviction to swap heavens with hell, move and disrupt the gods for her, only to be with her.

Only for his Tara.

His Uttara.

His wife.

His totality.

"Goodness, her vitals are getting well now, Dr. Jaykar." He heard the nurse check her for the second time in the past 3 hours that she was shifted outside.

"We can repeat a shot on her. It will wipe off any traces of the drug if still present. The blood dialysis reports will be with us and we will be able to plan out her next medicines." The doctor, Yashasvi Jaykar, explained scribbling the same on her charts and ending it with his signature.

"Thank you for saving her, Dr. Yash." Vidyut looked up at him with gratitude and the man smiled empathetically. "I couldn't trust anyone but you for her. Not even myself. I had almost lost her yesterday. If not for you being here, I do not know what I would have done."

He couldn't thank them enough, nor move, look away, or stop thinking back to the past 26 hours that he had switched places. Vidyut was never good at handling families, he would always let his juniors or fellow doctors break the news to the patient's family inside the waiting room. In the entirety of his career, he could count the handful of times he had interacted with distressed spouses, parents, children, or friends.

Now that he thinks back to them, he can feel their apprehension, their distress, impatience, and fear of losing their family behind the closed doors of the operation theatre. He had always been on the other side, working and saving the patient but for the first time, he was left behind the closed doors of the surgical room, waiting.

Doctors had performed an immediate blood transfusion on Uttara seeing she was drugged consecutively three times as per the marks on her arms. Her veins in the area had started clogging and blood had thickened due to the effects of high drug dose, which the doctors had to surgically remove after a quick MRI and CT scans.

How grateful Vidyut was to this efficient team of doctors in Pune? He could only feel the numbness in his brain each time he tried to think of the amount of things that could have gone wrong.