30) Redemption

A very prosperous Diwali to you all!!

It was the smallest of traces of laughter that he could point in her features, the rest she had very well concealed pulling that convincing pout sitting beside him

It was the smallest of traces of laughter that he could point in her features, the rest she had very well concealed pulling that convincing pout sitting beside him. Those soulful brown honey pools danced with amazement and mirth while she tried pulling the mask of innocence, something he often related her with.

Yet today, she looked nowhere near that word.

Today she looked like a woman. A grace of sorts. A minx who pulled all his strings in ways only she could. Carrying her magenta crease-less plain saree paired with a wide strip printed blouse, she moved hearts and turned heads. Her statement oxidized jewelry pieces were replaced with a boho micro beaded layered choker contrasting to her metallic bangles that set on her wrists clinking each time she traced the hairs behind her ears, never getting irked with the cool air stealing a touch of her, rather her smile widened as they passed the traffic and entered into a more deserted road that leads to their home.

She further lowered the window and he wordlessly closed the air conditioner following her lead. She watched him lowering his window glass and she shot him a smile full of warmth that shifted his fake stoic face. He pulled his cheeks inside and refurbished the same blank face again, calming the need to let the mirth play in her presence, and sneaked a glance at her as she watched him, just like he had sometime back while she was lost enjoying peek-a-boo with the wind.

He kept his eyes in front, not wanting to catch her staring at him and make her look away.

"You look pretty today."

He snapped towards her, not believing the words that were decrypted by his mind. Blinking he watched her eyes widen comically at the slip.

"I look pretty?" He stressed the words, barely holding the chuckle that threatened to overtake his face.

"I didn't mean pretty, no..." She flushed trailing and looking out with a big scrunch. He was sure she was mentally cursing herself.

"No?" He cocked a brow towards her.

"I mean you look handsome today." Her borrowed courage amused him.

"Only today?" He bit back his smile "What about other days? Don't I look handsome then? Or are you trying to butter me to get me loose on your punishment?"

"Why will I butter you? I am not afraid of you or your punishment." Dhwani demanded leaning back and crossing her arms, tilting her head to an angle, she sized him up like a class teacher.

"So, you mean I don't look good or you know, pretty other days?"

"I didn't mean that." She chipped with a frown.

"Then, what did you mean?" He slowed the car, not wanting this conversation to end.

"I just said it." She shrugged averting her gaze.