Chapter 22: How About an Eye?

The Headquarters, Alpha Earth

The sound of the ticking clock echoed throughout the interrogation room. The blackmailer sat there with her hands cuffed to the table and a cold defiant gaze fixed on Cypher. Her eyes seemed to pierce through his mask. Unlike Vincent, now known as Chamber, she showed no signs of relaxation, but rather maintained a cautious demeanor. Cypher calmly folded his hands, placing them on the table, and sat upright.

"The more you talk now, the better I can guarantee your safety," Cypher stated firmly, trying to keep his composure. He knew he had to tread carefully with this elusive criminal.

The blackmailer maintained an unimpressed expression. With a slight scoff, she brushed a strand of hair away from her eye and retorted, "This is something they say before putting a bullet between my eyes?"

Cypher shook his head, trying to convey sincerity in his voice, "No. No bloodshed here. I just want information."

The blackmailer's eyes narrowed suspiciously, as if trying to discern the truth from Cypher's words. The tension in the room was palpable, and Cypher knew he had to handle this situation delicately. 

The blackmailer's mischievous smile grew as she leaned in closer to Cypher, her hands still cuffed to the table. With a hint of arrogance in her voice, she taunted, "You just want revenge, for how badly I embarrassed you," before casually leaning back into her seat. Cypher couldn't help but smirk underneath his mask, admitting, "Only a little," he said, not denying the personal motivation behind his pursuit of her.

Leaning back in his chair, Cypher maintained his composure and focused on the interrogation. "So, what do you know about the Valorant Protocol?" he inquired.

The blackmailer's smirk only widened, reveling in the information she held. "More than you'd like. I know your operating guidelines. I know the location of your headquarters. I know your typical weapon loadout. Your RnD budget. The last 6 months of your mission archives. And the leave requests of every Agent that bothers to file them... should I go on?" she boasted, enjoying every moment of her psychological game with Cypher.

With a mix of curiosity and frustration, Cypher pressed further, "I'm impressed. How did you do it?"

Her smirk never faded as she retorted, "Because I am impressive. And I have ways. Not every secret hunter needs a camera."

Cypher's mind raced, knowing that this blackmailer was far more dangerous and well-informed than he had anticipated. "Your Radiant power... of which I am now quite familiar."

"Sorry," the blackmailer said with a sarcastic tone, offering a half-hearted apology. Undeterred, Cypher pulled out a holographic screen, revealing the blackmailer's initial communication to the Valorant Protocol. "Your first communication to us... you mentioned someone was taken from you. Care to explain?" he asked.

The blackmailer's smile vanished from her face. "Why should I? You know what you did," she retorted, her voice laced with bitterness.

Cypher shook his head, his resolve unwavering. "I do not. We are not in the business of kidnapping," he replied earnestly.

The blackmailer glanced away, her disbelief evident. "How convenient," she scoffed, clearly unconvinced by his words.

Cypher leaned forward, slamming the table lightly to emphasize his sincerity. "It's the truth, whatever that means to you," he stated firmly.

With frustration etched on her face, the blackmailer leaned forward once more, her eyes locked onto Cypher's. "If you didn't take him, who did?" she demanded, seeking answers to the mystery that plagued her.