Chapter 32

Rylee had been looking forward to the social work event for weeks. As a social worker, this was a big night for her. She was being awarded for her exceptional work with at-risk youth, and she wanted to celebrate her achievement with her colleagues and friends. She had even asked her colleague Jack to come with her as her date, as they had been getting along well, and she didn't want to go alone.

However, there was one person she wanted to see more than anyone else, and that was Henrie - the father of her unborn baby girl. They had been in love before, but things had gone wrong when Henrie gave an interview saying he was single but still in love with Rylee. This had caused a rift between them, and Rylee had started seeing Jack, who was also a good friend.

As the day of the event approached, Rylee spent hours preparing herself. She wanted to look her best for the occasion, but she also wanted to feel comfortable as she was pregnant. She decided to wear a beautiful flowing dress that would accentuate her bump, and she paired it with some comfortable yet stylish shoes. She put on some light makeup and some delicate jewelry, feeling confident and elegant as she looked at herself in the mirror. When she walks downstairs, Dash runs into her arms.

"Mommy, I'm so proud of you. I wish I could go tonight," he says.

"Thank you, baby. That makes me so happy. And you know, Dash, tonight is for grown-ups only. But I will miss you, and we will celebrate together soon, okay?" I tell him.

"Yes, can Dad come too?" he asks.

"Sure," I say and kiss him goodnight.

On the night of the event, Rylee arrived early to help with the preparations. She greeted her colleagues and worked hard to make sure that everything was running smoothly. As the guests began to arrive, she welcomed them with a smile, feeling proud of all the hard work that had gone into organizing the event.

As the evening progressed, Rylee enjoyed chatting with her colleagues and catching up with old friends. She was thrilled when her name was called out as the winner of the award, feeling a sense of accomplishment and pride wash over her. She went up to the stage to receive the award. "I am deeply honored to receive this award tonight, and I want to take this moment to express my heartfelt gratitude. This recognition means the world to me, not just because of the recognition of my hard work, but because it highlights the importance of social work. Social work is not just a profession, it is a calling; a calling to help those who are most vulnerable and in need of support and guidance. I am fortunate to work with a team of amazing social workers who inspire me every day. They are compassionate, dedicated, and committed to making a positive change in the world. Without their support, I would not be standing here today, accepting this award.

Finally, I want to thank my family, friends, and colleagues for their support and for being a part of this important mission. It takes a village to make a difference, and I am humbled to be a part of this village. Thank you once again for this honor."

As she made her way back to her table, she saw a figure walking towards her. It was Henrie. She was shocked and felt a pang of guilt as she had not invited him.

Henrie approached her and Jack, and Rylee felt the air around her change. She was nervous and unsure of what to say or do. Henrie handed her a beautiful and huge bouquet of flowers, which left her speechless.

"I heard about your award, and the best social worker deserves flowers and more. I also couldn't resist coming to see you in person," Henrie said with a smile.

Rylee was still in shock, but she couldn't help but feel grateful and happy to see him. She turned to Jack, who was equally surprised to see him.

"Nice to see you, Jack," Henrie said, extending his hand.