Chapter 16

*Long chapter ahead.* :-O

"I first met Armaan Mehra in my freshman year

"I first met Armaan Mehra in my freshman year. A handsome and endearing young man. When I first met him at my inter-college competition—where he was a rival team—I immediately had that impression. We had a five-minute conversation and were immediately attracted to one another. I had never experienced this level of chemistry with any boy before. He went back to his college after the competition, and a short time later he contacted me and we went on a casual date. Everything was going perfectly until he asked me to marry him during my senior year, and I said yes." Dev was listening carefully to her as she took a moment to herself to catch her breath. She then continued.

"Except for Di, no one in my family knew that I was dating someone. I therefore told my family about him after his proposal. My parents disagreed with me. Later, with Di's assistance, Ma agreed, but Papa remained a difficult case to overcome. I made a lot of effort and even went on hunger-strike to make him agree, and a week later he agreed, but he wasn't really pleased with my decision. And so the date and location were set, and shortly the wedding day arrived, and the bastard deserted me on the alter. When I finally saw his real face. Bloody gold-digger."

Sitara screamed in rage and hatred because she wasn't upset at all—instead, she was relieved that she hadn't wed the filthy pig. Dev wanted to comfort her, but he understood that her outburst was also important for her to start over. He didn't want her to feel burdened by her feelings, which she hadn't had time to let out on her own.

"And the following day. In addition to the fact that your father insisted on the ridiculous condition that my sister also get married, I married you without knowing your name or who you are. Last but not least, the bride was switched at the last minute. All of these occurred in a single day, and my brother's betrayal completely shattered my existence. Being forced to experience something I had never imagined was really difficult. So when you brought me a glass of milk, all my anger from that day was directed at you."

As she spoke everything she intended to say, Sitara sighed. She experienced a sudden sense of extreme lightness and happiness.

"That's all you said, then." Dev posed a serious question. She taking a step in this relationship was still something he needed to hear.

Sitara nodded and rose up, but Dev grabbed her hand and temporarily stopped her motion. Dev just realized what he had done after she froze. As though it had burned him, he abruptly released her hand before apologizing.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't intending to." Sitara nodded as she made her way to the door, but this time Dev's comments interrupted her.

"Are you giving me a chance or not, Sitara?" Dev directly enquired. He'd had enough of taking things slowly, and he wanted to go right to the point.

"That-that, I" Sitara hesitated. Dev sighed, his heart sank at the sight of her hesitancy, and his once-sparkling eyes grew dull once more, making Sitara feel guilty. She didn't hesitate to say it, but she was a little embarrassed about it. Then why? She was unsure about herself.