Chapter 25

It was two a

It was two a.m., and they were about to board the freight train for the well-prepared excursion Dev had planned for his wife's delight.

And he'd been getting exclusive treatment from Sitara ever since. Whatever he would demand she would present him right away without a word escaping her lips. He was overjoyed to have his wife's attention.

Though he is not an attention seeker, he did want to attract the attention of someone special, and he was successful.

"Yug keeps those bags there." Yug simply rolled his eyes and followed Dev's instructions because he was moody because his sleep had been ruined. He detested it when his slumber was disturbed. Yug secured their compartment's door before joining the blinds as everyone took their seats.

The duration of this trip was scheduled to be one week. Four of them provided sponsorship for it. Each of them had made a contribution. Sitara interrupted Dev, stating he should save some money because he was still studying.

Despite Dev's best efforts, all it took was one glance from Sitara for him to hunch his shoulder and sit dejectedly on the bed. Sitara sighed and told him that everything should be done together. At that comment, Dev beamed.

Yug had been OK with being hauled as a freeloader until Ruhanika lobbed some cash on the table and asked/ordered him to give it to Dev because it would be inappropriate if she went to give it to him. She felt bad for being a freeloader in contrast to someone else. Yug gave her a frustrated look, realized who she was referring to, and felt his conscience mock him; as a result, he followed her in adding money to the figure they had all pledged to finance this trip.

Girls sat in the lower sleeper, while men sat in the upper berth. As usual, Ruhanika pulled out her little book and started reading because she wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. Sitara grabbed her phone, put an airpod in her ears, and let the music fill her ears while she bopped her head alone.

Dev slept because he was exhausted from doing all of the work that had been allotted to him in order to obtain a week off, which he achieved, albeit with some overtime. Yug was occupied with his phone as well.

***

In the morning, around 7.

Dev opened his eyes and forced himself to hold back a yawn. He noticed Yug was sleeping next to him on the upper side, with a blanket over his face. His eyes shifted below widely, but he failed to locate Sitara there. His breathing almost stopped till he realized he hadn't seen Ruhanika as well. He got up and peered out the window to see that the train had stopped somewhere.

They were seated on the bench and enjoying their earthen cup of tea when he closed the cabin door and descended the train. He approached them. When Sitara saw him, she was surprised.