• Chapter One •

Y/n pov.

I sat on the bench as I waited for my mother to pick me up from school as she always does. I hate school. I hate socializing. I'm glad I don't have to ride with the rest of the kids in the school bus.

I prefer to be alone. I really don't know why. Maybe it's just because I don't feel like I fit in, and I'm out of place, or simply because I don't understand people and I'm certain they don't understand me... Yes, I think that's why.

Suddenly Soyeon (a girl from my class) took a seat next to me and her shoulder touched mine which made me scoot away a bit.

"Y/n! Did you see the girl at lunch?! She totally made a scene when she spilled her lunch tray all over herself!" She said in a very sassy way.

"Oh, you mean Jessica? Your best friend?" I responded without taking my eyes off the road where my moms car comes from to pick me up.

"Yeah... I mean, what's the deal? It was funny! Don't you think?" She had a stuck-up tone now.

"I don't think so. She cried and ran out. The whole class laughed at her. And Soyeon, I don't wanna be involved in your gossip. I've heard enough gossip and drama for one day."

Soyeon rolled her eyes and left me alone on the bench again.
I sighed and played with the cute hedgehog keychain on my backpack. I've always wanted a pet. Pets are cute, and they don't talk all the time. They just listen, and they never talk bad behind your back. But unfortunately my mom won't let me get one because she doesn't think I'll be able to take care of it, since I have school and she has work..

Suddenly I saw my moms car coming so I put my backpack on and ran over to the sidewalk for her. Inside her same shiny black car that she gets washed almost every day was my mother.
I hopped in the passenger seat and gave her a smile as I clicked my seatbelt in.

"How was school?" She asked. As she usually does.

"Same as always, mom. I barely made it here alive." I responded with a sigh.

"Y/n... Do you remember when you taught yourself sign language when you were young?" she asked randomly.

"Yeah... I did it for fun. I never really thought about using it... Why??"

"Well... One of the women I work with has a son about your age and he's been deaf most his life and he has nobody who can speak with him through sign language! I thought that you should get to know him." She said, giving me a warm smile.

"What?!?! Are you kidding? Mom, you know I can't make friends! It won't work! I don't want to... Socializing at school is stressful enough!" I said in a very pouty voice.

"Y/n! Please! Do it for me! This boys own mother never learned sign language. He's lonely and needs a friend like you... Please do it for me Y/nnie." Her voice was so desperate.

I was silent for a moment, then I spoke up, "Okay.. Fine!" I responded with a big sigh.

***

Its Saturday and I wake up from my moms voice yelling from downstairs.

"Y/n!!! Hurry up! He is gonna be waiting at the café! I gotta go to work now! Don't be late! Be nice! And remember, his name is Choi Soobin! Bye bye now sweetie!"

"Okay mom!!! Bye bye!" I drag myself out of bed and changed into some simple clothes. Then I drag myself downstairs and out of the house.

I'm not looking forward to this at all, but I gotta do it for my mom. Besides, it is kinda sad that his mother didn't learn how to sign... I'll do my best. Fighting.