032

WISTFUL

WISTFUL.
[ irl ]

a/n : the first section is a flashback (which is why it's in italics)

bin and matt never got into arguments. as children, they would always sort out whatever disagreements that would occur. the closest they ever got to arguing was when bin mentioned a boy named finn.

the thing is, matt knew he had a crush on bin since they were seven. he knew that the feelings he felt for the girl weren't like the ones he felt for nate or his brothers.

one day, while mary lou was cooking lunch, matt talked to her about his feelings. and she explained that he had something called a crush.

"well what do i do!?" matt shouted, wanting to yank out his hair from stress. "she's my best friend, mama! i can't like her! that's weird!"

"you can't control who you love, sweetie." mary lou told him.

she was standing in front of the stove, boiling water in a large pot. matt was sitting at the counter, kicking his feet back and forth in the tall chair he was in. 

"what if she thinks it's weird?" matt asked. his legs stopped swinging and his face dropped at the thought of bin finding his feelings to be weird.

"the only way you can know for sure," mary lou said, "is by telling her."

"no!" matt shouted. "no, no, no, no, no!"

mary lou chuckled, "you don't have to right now. but when the time comes, i'm sure you two will figure it all out."

"what if we don't?" matt asked, frowning.

"you will." mary lou told him, not an ounce of disbelief behind her words. she truly believed what she was saying. the sincerity in her voice made matt feel better.

that night, matt decided to tell bin about his crush. since they met up daily, he knew he'd have time to talk to her about this.

he sat at their spot, anxiously and excitedly awaiting his best friend's arrival.

then, he heard the sound of a little bike peddling down the sidewalk toward him. he immediately stood up to greet her.

"hey!" she said happily, hopping off her bike to hug matt. her bike fell in the grass beside them as matt hugged her back. "it's been forever since i've seen you!"