23

I blinked slowly, aware there were people standing over me.

"Oh my God, Damien, she's dead, she's dead," someone panicked.

"She's breathing, Noah," someone else said, sounding unimpressed with the entire situation. "She's not dead, dumbass. Go get the school nurse."

"Tabitha already went to get her ... oh look, she's waking up."

As consciousness crept back, a crowd of unfamiliar faces swirled into focus above me. A rhythmic throbbing at my temple made me foggy. I glanced up at the two boys crouching in front of me. "I'm Noah," one of them said, pointing to himself with a cool smile. Noah had sandy blond hair, cut short. His unique green eyes seemed to hold a mischievous glint, especially when he caught the admiring glances cast his way. His casual, yet tastefully chosen attire of a well-fitted shirt and comfortable jeans complemented his rugged good looks perfectly. "And this grump pants is Damien."

Damien huffed, standing tall with an athletic grace, his dark, wavy hair that curled behind his ears. His vibrant blue eyes sparkled when his gaze met mine, his face breaking into a warm, inviting smile. "What's your name-"

"Good grief, what happened?" Someone asked, and among the sea of spectators appeared a nurse, with stern brown eyes. Clad in blue scrubs with a tan cardigan, she knelt beside me, her medical bag ready. Her flashlight danced across my eyes as she instructed, "Follow the light, dear."

I obeyed, despite the protest of my pounding head. "You have a slight concussion. Are you hit anywhere else?"

I shook my head. Off to the side, Damien held the rogue football, his face painted with guilt. Noah, however, looked like he'd seen a ghost, his complexion having lost all its color.

"Sorry about this," Damien mumbled, avoiding my gaze. "We didn't see you there."

I mustered a weak smile, trying to sit up, but the nurse's firm hand guided me back down. "Stay put for a moment, dear. You took quite a hit," she said as she packed her things, satisfied that I was out of immediate danger. "We'll have to call your parents."

I winced as crowd around me slowly melted away under the nurse's stern gaze. Damien sheepishly offered to carry my bag, his apology hanging in the air. Now that I could see, the stars fading, Damien was fine as fuck. "I am sorry ... um, shit, I don't even know your name."

"Watch your language, Mr. Ravenhart," the nurse, Ivy, scolded Damien. He gave me a smile, rolling his eyes. I couldn't help but smile too. Ivy pulled me up the main stairwell, my mind foggy. We took a right and walked down a long hallway, until we reached the end and turned into a small clinic.

The walk to the infirmary was filled with a mixed bag of emotions. Embarrassment painted my cheeks red, yet a hint of amusement tickled my thoughts. This was surely not the grand entrance I had envisioned on my first day at the , but it was undeniably one that I, and perhaps a good part of the school, would remember.

"What's your name?" Damien asked, leaning on the wall as Ivy instructed me to sit on the bed.

I gave him a small smile. "Alessia."

He stuck out his hand. "Nice to meet you, Alessia." I shook his hand, his skin cold to the touch. I winced, my shoulder aching from where I landed on it.

"Excuse me while I call your-"

"Brother. Angelo is my legal guardian," I said, tired of hearing her say parents. Damien studied me with a cautious gaze.

"Right, sorry, dear. I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere." She tittered away and I met Damien's gaze.

"Not how I wanted my first day to start," I said, playing with the hem of my shirt. "What year are you?"

We Were Villainsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें