Road Trip

Laura's POV

*~* NINE YEARS LATER *~*

They were the first, and they were last.

They were the dominant beasts that ruled with an iron fist!

They will rise once more.

But by the one born with the mark will rise a perfect wolf...

I gasped myself awake, jerking myself to sit upright. My eyes glanced around my room as my breathing quickened. I could feel beads of sweat dotting on my forehead and all over my body.

Never have I had a dream like this before. It was different. Well... I was different. Everything about me differed from the rest. I do not belong here. I was not born in this pack.

I'm adopted.

I knew Beta Jim and Sam Cross had adopted me for as long as I could remember. How did I know? The children of this pack would make fun of me, especially Alpha's son, Daniel. He was the worst. Luckily, I had my brother, Pete. Who had been protecting me all these years?

"Laura, sweety! It's time to get up," I heard Mother's sweet voice through the door, lightly knocking. Slowly, my door opened, a small crack enough for Mom to poke her head.

"Morning, Mom," I smiled warmly.

"Are you okay, sweety?" Mother asked, furrowing her eyebrows, knowing she could smell my sweat and fear. She widened the crack of the door and stepped into my room.

I nervously laughed and shook my head, "I'm okay, no need to worry about me."

"Don't lie to me," she crossed her arms on her chest, narrowing her gaze at me. "You covered in sweat! And your heart is beating as if you ran a marathon. Did you have a nightmare?" She rushed to my side and quickly wrapped her arms around me. "Oh, my baby," she cooed me.

I whined, "Mom... I'm okay. Really." I sighed in relief when she pulled.

"You're still my baby, no matter what. I will protect you from everyone and everything, even a nightmare." She leaned forward to plant a kiss on my temple.

"Mom," I dragged the word, pulling myself away from her. She was always like this to me. I love her, but she is too overprotective. "I'm not a baby anymore," I whined, rolling my eyes.

"You always be my baby even if you're old and wrinkled," she planted another kiss on my cheek, then several more over my face. "Now get ready and be downstairs within ten minutes," she grabbed my arms, gently pulling me out of bed, then pushed me into my bathroom. "Hurry!" She yelled.

I rolled my eyes, closing the door behind me. I could not help myself but chuckle under my breath. I cannot blame her for rushing me this morning since we had a lengthy journey ahead of us. We were heading to the Moon Royal Palace to attend the coronation of Nathan Crescent. Our new Alpha King.

Alphas and Betas, including their mates and children, must attend as a tradition. Not all their children can come, only those sixteen and above. Both males and females. This was a significant opportunity to find a mate, especially for our new king.

After a quick shower, I dressed into a simple light yellow summer dress and brown sandals. We would stay in the palace for a night, so I had to pack a lightweight bag, including my ball gown. I grabbed my bag as I headed downstairs to the kitchen.

"Morning, sis," Pete, my brother, greeted me as I sat beside him at the kitchen island counter. "Ready to go to the Royal palace?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows with a grin.