Conscience

Nathan's POV

Why?

What was wrong with me?

How could I lose my control?

I'm an Alpha King. I lost control of my wolf, which was such an embarrassment for me and my family name. I thought I would be drunk enough not to have my wolf to surface.

What happened?

I failed as a mate and failed my father...

"Prince Nathan, your father, the king, request your presence in his office." I groaned in annoyance and frustration at hearing Elder Smallwood's voice in my mind and also feeling my hangover coming to get me.

I rolled onto my back as a smirk graced my face, remembering last night's with John. One shot went to countless more shots and wild partying. For an old vampire, he sure knew how to party like there was no tomorrow. I sighed softly before slipping out of bed, or should I say, stumbled out of bed. The wolfsbane must not have worn off. After having a cold shower and dropping into something comfortable, I strolled to my father's office.

In front of his office door, I took a deep breath and knocked on it. "Enter," I heard his command and entered. I first saw Father seated behind his desk with an emotionless face. Elder Smallwood is standing beside Father with his arms crossed. I seriously don't like Elder Smallwood.

"Father... Elder Smallwood," I greeted, bowing my head in respect. "Is there anything I can do for you?" I asked.

"Yes, there is. We need to talk about your behaviour," Father glared straight at me. "Last night, instead of attending the Full Moonlight ball, you went out with King Johnson, doing god knows what!" He yelled, both his hands clenched into fists.

My eyes widened in shock, "wait... The ball was last night?" I asked. Last night was special for Mother, who spent months planning for that moment.

"Yes, and you missed it," Elder Smallwood said with a smug on his face. "As future Alpha King, you must attend these events and training. How would you know your people and grow in strength?"

I felt a growl vibrating within my chest as I glared over at him under my lashes. That old man was always on my back like a pest. It has been about being an Alpha King, as well as roles and responsibilities. I wish he could finally die!

"Just because you're a prince doesn't mean you can exclude yourself from this!" Father said, furrowing his eyebrows. "For the moon goddess's sake, you will be King, and you need to learn to behave especially for your mate."

"Prince Nathan, you understand that time isn't on our side, and you need to learn the ropes in ruling." Before he could add, Father lifted his hand, stopping him from speaking any feather. There was silence between us, realizing Father was talking to Elder Smallwood through mind-link. Elder Smallwood huffed, turned to Father and bowed, then walked over to me and bowed before leaving the room.

When the door closed behind him, Father sighed as he leaned back against his seat. He looked at me with great disappointment and concern. "Son... It would be best if you changed yourself before it gets out of control, especially when you mix wolfsbane and alcohol. You are the future for wolves, and as a king, you don't need any faults."

Father would never have been this worried if it wasn't because the witches discovered he was close to his deathbed. He was cursed, and the witches couldn't remove the black magic. So now the pressure on me to become a king. "I don't know, Father," I said, staring at him. "What if you are not dying?" I asked, shrugging my shoulders, hoping this issue was just a trick.