Chapter 11: Investigation

Location: Pacific Ocean

Locational data: Offline substitute active / No errors detected

Current time: 9:43 - Morning

Weather: Rain - Potential super-cell formation detected - Continuing to monitor

Mission: Recover - Repair - Reevaluate  - Analyze

Kansen active: HMS Belfast

Kansen being towed: FGS Hessen, USS New Jersey

________________________________________________________________________________

The fleet steadily proceeded back to base. This time, without any further encounters. A change of pace, you could call it. Well - depends on who you ask. The action seemed to shift away from naval engagements and rather towards the weather, as a storm front hit the fleet.

Of course, while certain weather conditions can affect regular ships rather strongly with oftentimes destructive results, this is not particularly the case with kansen. A storm like this seems to be mostly a nuisance for them while their rigging is active.

Of course, again, Hessen is an exception, due to her frigate currently being towed by Belfast's cruiser.
"Hmm. Weather conditions are rapidly deteriorating."
Hessen leaned against the railing, looking up to the threatening-looking grey storm clouds, with New Jersey nearby.
"I suppose we should get inside."
She gestures to a nearby door of the frigate.

"Yeah, I'd say this is a good idea."
She, too, looks up to the storm clouds.
"About that - no offense, but is your frigate even capable of withstanding harsh weather situations of this size?"

"Don't worry, it is. If it weren't, you'd notice me being much more stressed than now."
She walked towards the earlier mentioned door, which promptly opened by itself. Hessen gestured towards it.

"Alright. I suppose you have a point."
Although New Jersey was curious about how exactly the inside of Hessen's frigate looked like, she did not try to make it noticeable. She made her way inside while Hessen guided her.
"Just to note - there is highly sensitive equipment present. Just don't touch everything recklessly, okay?"

The two entered the frigate. New Jersey could immediately see the differences in design - everything was fully geared towards efficiency and practicality. High-performance technology was present everywhere, the robust metal walls sporting shades of grey. Modern watertight bulkheads and seals separate the vessel into multiple sections, the sheer force with which they could close easily being able to crush someone. No doubt - they were on a modern warship.
New Jersey saw this scenery before, but never in such great detail. Once again, the difference in technology between her and Hessen was on full display here.

"Woah - i am still surprised that Vestal did not pass out from excitement when she saw all this during your repairs back then."
She said, staring at her surroundings with wonder.

Hessen chuckled at this remark.
"I would describe her reaction as 'confused' rather than 'amazed' when she first got her hands on my frigate to repair me. But she was incredibly interested though - i am still surprised that she even managed to repair me at all."

"Well, that's Vestal for ya. She manages to somehow keep the entire fleet up and running, after all."
Taking in her surroundings, she then adds:
"Where are you taking us, anyway? Your frigate is like a maze."

"I'm hungry, to be honest - and i believe so are you. After all the crazy things that happened these last few days, I at least want something proper to eat."