Chapter 20: Interlude

TASK FORCE: Special Anomalous Investigation Strike Force 'LACUNA - 1'

Task Force Status:
[----DEFCON 2 IS IN EFFECT----STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED----]

MISSION UPDATE:

--Resupply success – Link-up with forces of faction Azur Lane success--

Proceed to target coordinates --CURRENT--
Proceed with objectives ALEPH – WAW - TETH

Addendum:
Enemy availability of tactical WMDs confirmed – Escalation to DEFCON 1 likely
Anti-Air Defenses and Air Superiority must be maintained at all times – or all will be lost

-------Estimated Time To Contact: T – 3 hours------

The unusual coalition between Azur Lane forces and those of task force Lacuna – 1 were finally on their way towards the most likely last fateful battle against the Crimson Axis. Tensions were understandably running high, especially among the task force now with the threat Orochi posed being confirmed.

Supply lines were up and running, air superiority was maintained and an important informational link between the task force and the Azur Lane kansen was established, with Gerald R. Ford deploying and maintaining several E-2 Hawkeye AWACS aircraft to facilitate this. For the Azur Lane, this essentially eliminated the need for reconnaissance, making it much, much easier for them – especially the Commander – to properly plan ahead for any arising situation.

Speaking of the Commander, his reaction to this could probably be described as borderline ecstatic. For him, it was like he had some sort of 'map hacks' enabled in real life – of course, no huge enemy forces have been properly detected yet since the AWACS planes have been deployed only recently, but the fact that the enemy had practically lost the factor of surprise had a major influence.

Yet, while all combat-capable kansen readied themselves for the imminent confrontation, so too did the auxiliary kansen not spare any effort. Well-protected in the midst of the task force formation, one intelligence and two research ships peacefully carried on with their respective tasks.

Having decided to pay her fellow research ship a visit, Planet boarded the vessel of Polarstern to meet her in person. While they were both research ships, their differences in design were still noticeable – with Planet's vessel bearing a more 'militaristic' atmosphere due to being designed for weapons testing, while Polarstern appeared much more 'scientific' due to her nature as a research icebreaker.

Planet proceeded inside the vessel, steadily walking through the for a research ship on-brand sterile white corridors. However, while walking past the multiple rooms and sections, Planet noticed just how... cozy the interior of the research icebreaker was. It was comparable to a swimming hotel. Just by proceeding through the ship, she came across a comfortable-looking salon, a games room, a gym – even a sauna and a full-blown swimming pool!

Planet did admit that she was a bit jealous. Everything needed to live very comfortably was present here. But then again – as an icebreaker, Polarstern mostly operated in the Arctic and Antarctica. Such living conditions were understandably needed if you had to spend weeks travelling through a frozen, icy wasteland without going insane.

Eventually, she found who she was looking for in a room fittingly called the 'Data Room', with many screens, computers and electronics present within. There, the icebreaker comfortably sat in an office chair, typing away on a keyboard.

"Polarstern? Are you busy?"
Planet asked.

Upon hearing this, Polarstern spun around in her office chair, her long snow-white hair fluttering for a short moment as a result of the momentum, fixating her icy-blue eyes onto Planet.
"Ah, greetings. I was just in the process of further investigating how the Siren's communications network operated. What is the matter?"