Chapter 14: First Contact

Location: [CLASSIFIED AS PER PROTOCOL]

Locational data: [OFFLINE / SYSTEM RESTART IN PROGRESS]

Current time: XX:XX [SYSTEM RESTART IN PROGRESS]

Weather: [WEATHER RADAR RESTART IN PROGRESS]

Mission: R-T-B

Kansen active: FGS Hessen, ROCN Ting An, HMS Centaur, HMS Scylla, HMS Belfast

________________________________________________________________________________

The past hours have been... turbulent, to say the least - with the fleet not getting even an hour of rest before having to set out again. The Commander ordered them to return back to base as fast as possible - and his voice ordering it did not lack in panic. So, they proceeded west - heading out to return.

"Is something the matter, Hessen? Your 'data link' has ceased function."
Belfast looked at Hessen's rigging, also noticing that her large radar array has stopped spinning, seemingly deactivated.

Hessen was currently in the process of checking her own damage control systems.
"It's nothing. Just a small glitch in my systems, it seems. I am rebooting my long-range detection systems and a bit of my internal software to try and fix this. The link should be back up and running again soon."

The 'glitch' seemed to be centered around her radar arrays. A short while ago, it 'detected' a seemingly huge carrier strike fleet bearing modern vessel signatures a high distance away in the south. Going by logic, this shouldn't be possible. The signatures of the contained vessels had a highly unusual mix of two carriers, a few frigates, and different weird auxiliary vessels, two of them research ships. Research ships! Who would put research ships into a carrier strike fleet?

My target identification systems most likely had their data corrupted - i should ask Belfast.

"Belfast? Just to check something - does the Royal Navy have active shipping routes south from here near Fran- sorry, i mean near Iris Libre territory?"

"Indeed we have. This ensures that the Iris Libre can maintain stability in order to hold out against their less friendly Crimson Axis counterpart."

"Are these shipping routes often escorted by heavy ship classes such as aircraft carriers?"

"The extent of the amount of information i am able to give you is rather limited, but in short - yes. Armed kansen escorts are sometimes utilized as well due to the high proximity to Crimson Axis nations. But, if i may ask a question of my own - why do you require this information?"

"I am attempting to resolve a discrepancy within my systems. It appears my target identification systems are incorrectly identifying Royal Navy vessels as vessels from my home world."
Hessen said as she continued going through her systems, trying to pinpoint the exact location of the corrupted software components.

"As i am unfortunately not familiar with your technology, i cannot provide assistance in this matter. My best guess would be that the earlier implosion of the Iron Blood weather control device may have affected limited areas of your electronics."

"That would be my best guess, too. I'm executing a partial system restart coupled with a deep software integrity scan. It will take quite a while to finish - you will unfortunately have to hold out a bit without my radar and comms assistance, as my detection range will be heavily limited."
She continued to check her internal systems to oversee the restart process.

Good thing i don't have to restart everything - I prefer to keep my armament online, even if their range is limited.

"Understandable, but it is still quite a pity... I am starting to get accustomed to receiving constant, high-range radar data from you. I am afraid the longer i stick with you, the less i want to go back to my own radar systems."
Scylla said, a bit disappointed.