Chapter 16: Intermission

TASK FORCE: Special Anomalous Investigation Strike Force 'LACUNA - 1'

Task Force status: Nominal. Maintenance checkups required.

Operation 'Abyssal Incursion' MISSION UPDATE:

Primary Objective partially achieved / FGS Hessen recovered alive

Escort FGS Hessen/Proceed towards extraction point and RTB via Gateway Protocol

Secondary Objective now designated "optional" - Priority of continued data-gathering and technology-recovering inside 'The Otherworld' must be designated by main carriers

________________________________________________________________________________

The fleet proceeded onward - a statement often repeated, but true. What is the purpose of a fleet other than proceeding towards their goal, after all?

But this time, the situation took on a much calmer tone.
The task force's thoughts could finally rest after a long time-span of worrying. Hessen was recovered and finally reunited with her sisters, and an incoming Siren ambush such as the one encountered earlier could be detected and, if needed, more efficiently eliminated - thanks to the ever-lasting efforts of the research ship kansen.

As if signifying this, the long night ended, and with it, the sun rose once again - coating the entire sky with a beautiful mix of orange-red. Aboard Hessen's frigate, the three sisters Sachsen, Hamburg and Hessen sat on the deck near the bow of the ship, watching the sunrise together, happy that they lived to see another day - similar to the entire rest of the fleet.

Well, maybe this is not entirely accurate - to witness the sun rise, one has to be awake - which Hessen was not. She, instead, had fallen into a deep slumber, peacefully resting her head on the lap of her big sister Sachsen, who proceeded to caress her head lovingly. Sachsen did not complain, though - she found the sight of her sleeping little sister to be very cute.

"She really seems to be out cold, huh."
Hamburg sat near them, watching this display.

"Yes... I cannot imagine what she must have went through before we found her. She almost seemed to be ready to collapse from tiredness  - she fell asleep the instant her head touched my lap."
Sachsen continued caressing the head of her sleeping little sister.

"Indeed. She deserves to rest. I will still have a lot of questions once she wakes up, though."

"Don't we all?"

"Heh... you can say that again."

The sounds of waves hitting the bow of the frigate enveloped the area. Hamburg looked around, seeing the various vessels the task force consists of, as well as surprisingly those of the Azur Lane kansen Hessen has traveled with before being found.

"I do not really understand the reason why Gerald R. Ford ordered us to proceed along the route with our rigging off for now... we would have been much faster otherwise. It is a nice change of pace to see all of our vessels, but still not as efficient as using our regular rigging."
Hamburg especially paid attention to the vessels of the Azur Lane kansen.
"And i do not understand why these 'Azur Lane' members followed that order as well, despite not even being part of the task force."

Sachsen looked up, directing her eyes there as well. It was a truly strange sight - as an example, among the vessels, a World War Two-era British cruiser sailed forth peacefully, and right next to it sailed a modern sixty-five thousand ton British supercarrier towering above it with sheer height alone.
"Gerald R. Ford officially stated that we went 'rigging-off' in order to exercise operating with our vessels alone - though in actuality, she just wants to give us an opportunity to calm down and rest for a bit aboard our own ships. As for that last part, i guess you can already find the reason easily."