6

Damian took a deep breath as he looked down at the exam in front of him. He'd studied for this for the past week, there's no way he'd fail! But overconfidence could be his downfall, and he knew that.

So he calmly went through the test, answering each question with care and triple checking his answers.

He turned the exam in and let out a sigh of relief now that the hard part of his day was over.

As usual, he was the first to finish his exam, so he sat back down at his desk and thought to himself quietly.

The exam was nothing to be worried about, he could've done it in his sleep! But still, what if he failed? What would his classmates think? What would his father think?

Damian craved the attention of his father, though he preferred if it was positive rather than disappointment.

Imagining the dissatisfaction of his father sent shivers down his spine, and he blocked the thought out from his mind. He'd do good on this test. He had to.

But what would you think?

Would you even care if he failed his test? You were just his nanny! And as far as he knew, you didn't really seem like the type to get mad over a bad test grade.

You'd probably say something along the lines of "it's just one exam," or "grades don't matter," or whatever losers said.

Still, it somehow managed to bring him some comfort.

The school day came by and went, and as you waited at the gates, you noticed a pink haired little girl standing next to you.

"You must be Anya! I'm (y/n), I'm friends with your father,"

The girl stared at you as if you were an alien entity. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't hear a single thought in your head! That's the whole reason she even got close to you!

"Miss Anya? You alright?"

"I'm okay!"
She exclaimed before running away from you.

You were weird, but she couldn't ruin this for her papa.

Hmm, odd.

To be completely honest, you were thinking of literally nothing while you were standing there, only a slight whisper of a thought in your head as you stood there.

But that wasn't the only reason she couldn't read your mind.

Damian approached you with a prideful smile, and you could only have guessed it had to do with his exam. You'd seen how hard he'd studied for it, and you spent many nights tucking him to bed after he'd already fallen asleep at his desk.

"I take it your exam went well?"
You asked as you walked with him to the car.

Once you got inside, he showed you the paper.

100%!

You clapped for him,
"Good job, Damian! I'm proud of you,"

Huh.

Your words replayed in his mind in slow motion.

"I'm proud of you,"

It took a moment for him to collect his thoughts and respond,
"As you should be!"

But deep down, your words affected him more than he could ever know.

Even when he'd gotten home and was sitting at his desk, what you said to him still echoed through his tiny little body.

You were proud of him!

And why did that even matter?!

The only person's opinion he ever truly cared about was his father's (and maybe Anya's to a lesser extent), so why did what you think matter?

Almost everyone he knew would praise him for his test score, his teachers praised his intelligence, his maid's complimented his memory, he even had some of his classmates worshipping him!

But hearing you praise him was just...

He couldn't understand it.

"Yes Mr. Desmond, your son aced his test with flying colors. I'm sure he'd be happy to hear you give him a word of praise,"
You spoke on the phone.

You heard the man grumble over the phone before he surprisingly agreed.

"Dami-"

Before you'd even finished, he was already jumping up and down trying to take the phone from you. Little kid must've been eavesdropping the whole time.

You handed him the phone, and watched him speak nervously.

"Yes, father?"

Silence brewed for a few moments before he heard his father speak.

"Good job. Do not disappoint this family,"

And then he hung up.

Damian looked up at you with stars in his eyes, something which honestly gave you the creeps.

His father praised him! He felt like he could combust at any moment. He'd finally gotten what he'd been craving for so long, positive attention!

And it was all your doing!

"T-thank you,"
He managed to say. He wasn't quite used to saying this to people of a lower status than him.

"Of course, Damian,"

You responded, smiling at him before leaving to your quarters.

Even though Damian hadn't been alive for too long, it was safe to say.

This was his favorite day.

_______________________

He likes being praised by you woohoo