10

DAMN I REALLY NEED TO GET MARRIED
You thought to yourself as you sat with Yor and Loid. From your perspective, they seemed like the perfect couple of parents, both of them just trying their hardest to raise their kid right.

But logistically, marriage wouldn't mesh too well with your job, and you feared what Damian might turn out like if you left now.

"Oh, I made a little something to give to your daughter!"

You pulled out a small jar of... peanuts?

"I roasted and seasoned them, don't worry, they're not spicy,"

Anya, who had been listening in on this conversation the whole time, popped out from behind the wall with her hands extended upwards to you.

"I could just give them to her too,"
You said before placing the jar in her hands.

She opened the jar and was close to eating one before she had a thought. What if you were poisoning her? Or what if they were secretly spicy, and you were trying to prank her!

She tried to read your mind, but all she heard was,
Mmm peanut.

What the hell was with your head?!

So instead of eating one, she held the jar up to her parents,
"Mama and Papa want to try?"

The two adults took a peanut and popped it into their mouths, and were pleasantly surprised by the taste.

Yor ate another peanut,
"These are great! You'll have to show me how to make them sometime!"

Anya and Loid both feared for the worst hearing that, and mentally prepared themselves for Yor's attempts to recreate your snack.

"Oh it's easy really, all you have to do is..."

Anya didn't really feel like hearing the rest of your conversation, and went back to her place behind the corner to eat her peanuts, maybe tuning in every now and then if anything interesting happened.

Both of her parents seemed to enjoy your company, and the little girl was proud to not only have given her parents a new friend, but also helping her Papa advance further in his mission.

She peeked around the corner to watch the three of you talk. You seemed a bit odd, but that sy-on boy was also starting to seem marginally less sucky than before too, so you had to at least be a decent person. Plus you gave her peanuts!

You had weird thoughts though. Or more accurately, a weird absence of them.

"I should get going now, if I don't get home soon Damian will forget to eat lunch, and that boy gets cranky when he's hungry,"

You exchanged a few more pleasantries with them before leaving.

"He seems nice,"
Yor commented, with Loid nodding in agreement.

Then she gasped as a lightbulb went off in her head,
"I should introduce him to my brother! You know he's told me how he doesn't mind having no friends, but I still feel like he should have at least one!"

Loid almost choked at how nonchalantly she dissed her brother, even if it was done inadvertently.

Yor's profession never gave her time to have actual friends, but after meeting Loid and Anya, she realized just how nice it could be, and she wanted her brother to have a piece of that too.

~•~

You yawned loudly as you walked towards your bed, soon collapsing backwards onto it with a satisfied sigh. Though you liked your job, you had to admit it could really be tiring sometimes.

Damian always wanted to be super independent, making it hard for you to help him, and in general he was still not the nicest kid in the world, even after everything that'd happened up until now.

But you couldn't blame him, his father was the one to blame.

But at least the job came with nice benefits, like your room!

And the moments where the boy showed you a little kindness were just downright precious, even if it was a rare occurrence.

It was at that moment you realized something.

Did you forget to tuck Damian into bed? You remembered telling him it was time for him to sleep, but you couldn't actually remember if you tucked him in.

You always made it a point to tuck him in before bed each night, figuring it'd help him sleep better and therefore do better in school. It also was a good progress measurement in regards to how much he trusted you.

At first he only let you say goodnight to him, but you gradually could do more and more. Currently you were allowed to actually tuck him into his blankets and even pat his head if he was extra tired.

But he'd be fine just this once, right? He didn't even like it that much when you tucked him him, he wouldn't mind, would he?

You reluctantly left your comfortable bed to go check on the boy, feeling too guilty to sleep.

You knocked on the boy's door before entering, turning the light on before walking up to the boy who laid in his bed.

He seemed to be asleep, so you just let out a sigh before walking towards the door.

"Ahem,"

You stopped dead in your tracks, a wide grin appearing on your face.

That little rascal...

You walked back to the boy, pulling the blankets over his shoulders before patting his head a few times.

"Goodnight, Damian,"

The little boy really had stayed awake just so you could tuck him in. Imagining him waiting for you only for you to never show up made your heart break, and you realized that you made the right decision coming here.

You turned the lights off and left his room, finally being able to go to sleep yourself with peace of mind and a job well done.

_________________________

You're making new friends good for you