7

When Damian arrived at the dining table, he was pleasantly surprised by a gift box in front of him.

"What is this?"
He asked you suspiciously.

"It's a gift, since you did so well on your exam,"

He stared at the present, examining it. It was a simple box with a red ribbon tied up into a bow.

He pulled one end of the ribbon, and opened the box.

It seemed that the gift was a stuffed animal, though it didn't seem like the ones he'd seen in the windows of shops.

"It's a cat! I made it myself,"

He squinted at the plushie. It seemed that it did happen to be a cat. He shook it once.

"It jingles,"
He commented.

You smiled,
"I thought that it'd make it more fun,"

He put the plushie back in the box and pushed it away from him,
"With a high standing like mine, such items are far beneath me,"

You just said a whole load of nothing

You spoke with a disappointed tone,
"Oh... I guess I'll just take it back if you don't want it then,"

As you reached for the box, Damian quickly snatched it back towards him, holding it defensively.

"I didn't say that!"

A laugh almost escaped you, but you didn't want to embarrass the boy any more than you already had.

It was pretty obvious that your gift delighted him, and that he just didn't want to show it.

He was used to getting gifts from people, but most of the time it was just in attempt to curry good favor with him or his parents. But this gift was a reward! An acknowledgment of his hard work.

It was probably the first time he'd ever gotten something like that.

Later in the day, when you passed by Damian's room, you could hear a jingling sound which brought a smile to your lips.

~•~

As thunder and lightning briefly illuminated the night sky, you stared out your large windows into the rainy rainy landscape, enjoying how peaceful yet chaotic the weather was.

It seemed that Damian couldn't enjoy it the same way you did though.

When a particularly loud crash of lightning stuck near the house, a jingling noise could be heard approaching your door before he bursted into your room.

"Damian, is everything alright?"

You went over to the little boy and took a knee to look him over to check for any damage.

His face went red from embarrassment,
"I-I'm perfectly fine! I was just... checking to see if any part of the house got struck by the lightning!"

This boy was not a good liar at all, something he'd need to work on if he truly wanted to become a politician like his father.

"I understand. Why don't you sit on my bed with me and we can check for damage there?"

You held out a hand to him, and he placed his tiny one in yours, allowing you to guide him to your bed.

He sat down on your soft blankets, sinking down a few inches. Seeing the rain pouring down onto he plants outside was surprisingly calming.

But then a loud rumbling of thunder could be heard, and he jumped in shock.

You put your hand on head, patting it soothingly,
"Shh shh, it's alright, the lightning won't get us here,"

You moved your hand to his shoulder and pulled him closer, letting him lean on you. He was going to object, but the comfort he felt just by having someone to lean on was too much for him to try and argue.

After a while, you stood up.

"I'll go get some of your blankets and bring them here, I'll be right back, okay?"

He scoffed, he didn't need consoling!

But as soon as you left, he immediately wished you were there with him. Your room while not as lavish as his, was a whole lot bigger, meaning it was a whole lot creepier in the darkness.

He tried to remain calm, hugging onto the cat plushie you'd made him for dear life, but when he heard a creaking noise coming from a dark corner of the room, he immediately ducked under your covers, pulling the blanket down tight to keep whatever was out there out.

Eventually you returned and noticed a peculiar lump in your bed.

When you lifted the blankets up, you found an embarrassed little boy hiding underneath.

"I-I-"

"I understand Damian, it's alright to be frightened,"

He decided not to dwell on this any longer, and stepped off the bed while you set something up with his blankets.

After a few minutes, you'd created a nice cozy tent on your bed, perfectly fit for a young child.

You lifted the boy into the bed, tucking him in with his little cat plush.

"I'll be right next to you the whole time, Damian. You don't need to be afraid of anything,"

Usually he'd find something quippy to say to you, but at this point he was much too tired for that.

"Good night, Damian,"

He hummed in response, snuggling with the gift you'd given him before managing to fall asleep, your presence helping to dampen the fear.

This reminded you of your time with someone else back when you were a little bit older than him. You didn't know how they were doing bow, but you hoped they were happy. With what they'd experienced, they deserved it.

And though Damian had a life many coveted, he still deserved better. If his parents wouldn't be there to comfort him, you would be.

________________

When kids are scared that is the optimal time to get them to trust or like you