9

"Here you go Mr. (Y/n), it's on the house!"

"Oh you're always so kind to me, [random name],"

The baker blushed as your hands gently touched there's when taking your bread.

"Oh well, it just feels like things have gotten better ever since you arrived,"

You smiled at them,
"I'm glad you think that,"

Damian watched this interaction with absolute disgust. Adults could be really gross sometimes, especially with the way you and the baker interacted.

The baker looked down at the boy,
"Oh! And who is this?"

Damian froze in place, hoping he wouldn't be recognized. You decided that it might be a good idea to take Damian around town to see you buying supplies, but worried for his safety considering his status.

So he wore a hat, sunglasses, and a mask on his face, all to make him seem as inconspicuous as possible. For once, he found an idea of yours to be acceptable.

There was no way he wanted anyone to see him with you shopping for groceries like a commoner. It was beneath someone like him!

"He's my um... my son! Yeah, that's right!"

Damian looked at you with wide and slightly aggravated eyes. What the hell were you doing?!

The baker seemed a bit disappointed,
"Does that mean you're..."

You shook your head,
"Oh no no, I'm not married. I uh... adopted him!"

You picked the boy up,
"Isn't that right, sport?"

He grumbled to himself silently before nodding. Thank goodness the mask hid his frown.

The baker smiled at Damian,
"You're a lucky kid to get a father like Mr. (Y/n),"

They looked back up to you,
"How old is he?"

"He's six,"
You said without missing a beat.

Honestly Damian was surprised at how quickly you answered, and could only wonder if his real father would have the same response.

The baker hummed in response, and you put Damian down to talk with them a little more before leaving.

"I don't see why you had to talk with them for so long,"
He grumbled.

"You said you wanted to be a politician like your father, right?"
You asked while inspecting your bakery haul.

He nodded earnestly, earning him a chuckle from you.

"Well if you even want to get elected, you've got to be well liked by at least a few people. It's good to talk with the people in the community and build these bonds,"
You explained a bit more of how politicians will sometimes meet with their constituents, and how it has greater importance for lower level political figures.

"And in general, it's nice to be liked. That's how I got this free loaf of bread!"
You said happily, grabbing onto the boy's hand as you crossed the street.

Damian wasn't sure how much to believe you. On one hand, it did make sense that being nice and well liked could get one elected, but none of those things really described his father, and his father was a great politician! At least as far as he knew.

To be honest, you were trying to steer him away from becoming like that man. You didn't think he was a good father, nor the best politician, with you finding some of his policies a little... concerning.

But you'd never diss Damian's dad right in front of him, you'd probably destroy the little amount of trust that you'd worked so hard to build.

So instead you'd just try to shape him into a kinder more understanding person.

~•~

While waiting for Damian at the end of the school day, you noticed a woman with black hair walking with Anya.

You approached her,
"You must be Yor! I'm (y/n), Damian's nanny,"

She stared at you for a moment with confusion before it clicked in her head.
"Ah, you're friends with Loi- I mean my husband, right? I've been meaning to meet you as well, but I've been busy with... stuff,"

She really was this close to revealing a little more than she should've.

"I understand, it's hard to find free time when you're a parent. Hey, how about the three of us get coffee sometime? I've read up on some interesting parenting strategies I've been meaning to get some opinions on,"

She smiled at you,
"That sounds nice, does this weekend work for you?"

You nodded and chatted a bit more before she had to leave, and soon Damian approached you looking very cross.

"Damian, what's the matter?"
You asked once you'd got into the car.

"Y-you didn't say anything to her, did you?"

You raised a brow,
"What do you mean, her?"

He brought his voice to the quietest whisper he could muster,
"Anya..."

Damn you really wanted to laugh.

"Relax little man, I didn't talk to her about you,"

He crossed his arms with a huff,
"Good!"

It was cute seeing how big of a crush he had on the little girl, ah to be young and in love.

"I am meeting with her parents sometime though, so if you want me to try and arrange a-"

He cut you off
"Don't you dare!"

Maybe you'd tease him a little.

_________________________

Rizzing up the baker nice job