12

"Why are we at a place like this?!"
The boy looked up to you with a weird look.

"I thought kids liked candy?"

He scoffed,
"Most do, but they're not as mature as I am,"

"Hm, I guess I'll just get something for myself then,"
You said dramatically, walking inside the candy store without the boy.

He rushed after you,
"Hey! If you're gonna get something, you might as well get me something too!"

~•~

Though Damian was satisfied with the large lollipop he'd gotten, there was a problem the two of you now had to face.

Earlier in the week, it'd been broadcasted that with an incoming storm, there'd be a slight chance of flooding, though it wouldn't be too bad.

They were very wrong about that.

There had to be at least a foot of water on the streets, and there was no way you'd be able to get the car to come pick you up now. But you had to get Damian home, otherwise he'd probably keep annoying you about how you trapped him where all the poor people lived.

"What're you doing just staring at the rain? I'm getting soaked out here!"
You looked down at the angry little boy, the rain starting to dampen his clothes.

Hm.

Well there was no way you were going to put the people in the store though having to deal with the temper tantrums of a toddler, but you also couldn't stay where you were.

So without a word, you scooped the boy off the ground and into your arms, holding him tightly.

"W-what're you doing?!"

"I'm getting us home!"

You began to sprint through the flooded streets, cringing at how the water soaked your shoes, socks, and lower ends of your pants.

It was either you or Damian though, and you figured temporary discomfort was better than an unhappy rich kid.

You kept running through the water, ignoring how horrible the feeling of the cold rainwater soaking into your clothes was, just trying to keep Damian dry and warm.

Eventually you made it back to the house, letting out a sigh of relief as you set the boy down.

"I need to get you a stroller..."
You said in between breaths.

He scowled,
"That's not happening,"

He was just about to lecture you about god knows what before you passed out.

~•~

Damian didn't know what to do.

There wasn't anyone in the house but you and him, all the maids and butlers had gone home to be with their families, and now he was left alone with the closest thing he had to a family, and you were passed out.

What if you died! He couldn't have that happen, it'd totally ruin his career!

Also, even if he didn't like to admit it, he cared about you and your well being.