8

When Damian woke up, he was a bit confused as to where he was. This didn't look like his room, and why were his blankets hanging above him?

He perked out of the comfy tent to see you sitting at the side of the bed, sleeping as your head rested on the bed.

The events of the night before flowed through the boy's head, and he quickly made an attempt to go back to his room.

But oh was the blanket tent so cozy, and he felt so warm and snug in your blankets.

No, he was better than this! He couldn't indulge in these poor behaviors.

But then again, it was the weekend...

He gave your head a pat and then went back to sleeping, holding the cat plushie in his arms. Even though it wasn't the highest quality, it was a symbol of how proud you were of him, and seeing as he probably wouldn't get approval from his father for a while, he decided that this would be able to hold him over.

"Hmm, don't worry... I'll keep you safe..."
You mumbled in your sleep.

Were you even trying to comfort him in your sleep?! The answer was a bit more nuanced than that. In your dreams, you were a young child again, an orphan. There was another child you'd grown particularly protective of, but you couldn't remember a thing about them!

So in their place stood Damian, who's appearance was a far cry from the real deal.

All you felt was the overbearing need to keep him safe, as if it was your life's purpose.

But suddenly everything became wobbly, all the figures that you saw blurred together until they turned into a bright light, and then you woke up.

You groaned as you felt an ache in your neck and back, and you made a mental note to never sleep in a position like the one you were in ever again.

You took a peek in the tent, and it seemed that Damian was fast asleep.

He was a very cute little boy when he wasn't calling you poor.

You hummed a soft tune while you moved his hair out of his face, and found happiness when you noticed his sleeping face form into a soft smile.

The boy desperately needed affection, but there were limitations to what you could do as his nanny. If you tried to give him a hug now, he'd probably push you away with a disgusted look.

But if he really was your own child, you would always be showering him with affection, giving him all the hugs and kisses a kid could need! But for now, this would do.

Suddenly, the boy shifted in his sleep, turning towards you and unconscious grabbing onto your finger with one of his little hands.

You could've died right then and there!

But you had things to do, so you slowly freed yourself from the grasp of the child, giving him one more pat on the head before going to make breakfast.

~•~

The little boy rubbed his eyes as he hopped onto his chair, with a plate of food being placed in front of him.

Fluffy pancakes, bacon, a sunny side egg, things he usually didn't eat for his morning meal.

"Morning sleepy head. I thought I'd make you a special breakfast since you were so brave last night,"
You ruffled his hair, earning you a grunt and a light slap on the wrist.

He didn't need you making his morning hair messier than it already was, but he didn't want to hurt you.

But as he took a bite of his meal, he chewed a bit on your words as well.

"Brave...?"
He muttered out loud on accident.

"Yes Damian, you were very brave,"
You complimented.

He was utterly confused. He ran to you like a screaming baby and had to have a tent put above him to even sleep, who in the world would consider that brave? Definitely not his father.

"It takes a lot of strength to get help. When I was your age, I'd just wallow away in fear. I should've made the most of what I had back then and went to my parents..."

You averted his gaze and stared at the window, trying to keep your emotions in check.

You took a deep breath,
"If you ever get scared again, you can always come to my room, alright?"

Though he didn't say anything in response, he made a mental note of that.

Though he didn't spend a second night in your room, he did find comfort in the fact that he'd be able to seek you out whenever he needed to, regardless of the time.

You found comfort in the fact that you'd be able to sleep in your bed this night, your body being thankful for the support of your mattress.

You thought of the child you tried to protect all those years ago.

It seemed that helping sad children was your calling.

________________________

Idk why every (y/n) I make is good with kids even in my romance ones