No going back.

Madinah.

"Ya aisha na gaji." (I'm tired.) I whined for the umpteenth time.

She flat out ignored me and passed me a wrapper, then dragged me out of my room down to the guest room where the lady was.

Today is my wedding eve. I have been going through the torture that is called gyaran jiki since my wedding date was set. We started daily with the sugar waxing followed by an algae mask, dilke (turmeric based scrub), some other potions, hammam (full body steam) and then durot (full body steaming done with incense).

I am pretty sure that I do not have that much hair on my body, but ya aisha especially would not hear of it.

"This is supposed to be done for two months but we only have less than two weeks so quit complaining!" Well thank God for that.

I greeted the lady and sat before her, going through three hours of my daily torture. After, she went into the bathroom and prepared me a milk bath that was filled with so many different perfumes. The strong scent of roses hit my nostrils as I went into the bathroom. I soaked in it for nearly an hour before she came back in and got me out.

My biggest problem with the whole thing was how much she aimed to see me naked, or maybe I was being a little dramatic. But it cannot be normal for her to have access to every part of my body. In the beginning, I vehemently refused to take off the wrapper. Maama Sarah had to get involved, after which we compromised that I leave my underwear on. I did so with crimson cheeks all through.

"Take these. These ones here are scrubs, these ones are face masks, and these here are perfumes. Use them at your leisure but make sure you use the perfumes atleast twice weekly so the scent never disappears. Today is our last day together, but you can call me anytime." As if.

I smiled at her, "nagode, aunty. I will use them." And then I sprinted to my room.

I probably would use her scrubs but the incense would be of no use to me since I already had a scent I used frequently.

I got to my room with every intention of finally resting, that plan flew out the window because I met Ammal there.

"I almost thought you weren't coming today." I went to my wardrobe and pulled out a sleeping gown even though it was broad daylight.

"Are you trying to send me away?"

"What? no! You're just late is all." I faced her, she chuckles.

"You're such a people pleaser madinah, you need to lose that." Then she walked out of the room saying, "Zara and I are going to go get your dress, you can sleep before we come back."

I sighed in relief, I haven't had a proper night's sleep in almost a week. Mostly due to anxiety and half because I spend the whole night praying and have zero time to myself during the day due to the planning. Although I have done little to nothing, my friend and sisters handled almost everything. By now they must have noticed my lack of enthusiasm, maybe they equated it to me being my boring self.

On a more serious note, fear has been eating me alive. I was not this scared when Abbie told me, or even when the date was set. But now that it was so close I could taste it, I wanted out.

People often called it wedding jitters, but mine must be worse cause i am sure 'people' don't get threatened by their groom on their first meeting. My main consolation was the fact that Abbie chose him, he would never choose anything he doesn't personally believe in. And I often replayed that day i went to the office in my head, he saved me and then he made me a promise. He had to keep his promise.. right?