CHAPTER 11

"Can I at least love you from afar?"

.........

Y/n fumbled with the silver lighter in her hand. She had been send on a mission with Yuta much to her dismay. But it was a perfect opportunity to avenge her lover's death. She deemed Yuta to be a reason behind Suguru's death. Even though it was the path Geto choice which ultimately led to his own demise.

She could have traded the same path with him.

Every once a while, she would wonder if she had choose to walk with Suguru, would he had lived. She was one of the strongest sorcerer, her true jujitsu technique still hidden away from the rest of the world except her. She didn't know why she didn't leave jujitsu tech when she was only oppressed under the control of her father and the elders.

She was not like Satoru.

She was different.

She was born in exchange of her mother's life and it kept her chained to her clan. It made her fail to go against the elders. Not to forget, her father never failed to remind her, how her mother had to give her life up to birth her? Sometime it made her despise her mother. Why couldn't she just terminate her?

"Y/n sensei." Yuta called out, bringing her out of her train of thoughts. He had noticed she seemed a bit indifferent ever since she went to the mission — a few days before the shinjuku incident. He wondered what might have happened in that mission for her to drift so far away. Even though, she would occasionally smile and exchange talks with him, he felt an invisible distant drawn between them.

"You should get going. The sun is already setting." She replied, immediately drawing a veil around the area. "I will supervise you from here, if that's fine with you." She leaned against the concrete wall and pulled out a cigarette.

Her student seemed a little surprised to see her lit up a cigarette. He didn't know she smoked. "I don't mind, sensei."

"Mmmh..." she hummed in approval.

He peered at him as if he expected something more from her. Maybe a pat on his shoulder or a bright smile with words of affirmation like she always did before.

She puffed out the smoke and glanced at him. Her brow raising a little. "Is something wrong, Yuta?" She inquired, her head tilting, her pool of lime hues akin to a dead man eyes, hollow and dull, foretelling a tragic tale he couldn't read.

"No, it's nothing, sensei." He shook his head and forced a smile. She just nodded her head in response and return her gaze to the run down building. The gears in her mind working once again. Like Suguru, she was slowly spiralling into the dark abyss with no one to confide on without anyone knowing. The grief over the loss was now turning into a bitter feeling.

She stared down at the packet of cigarettes. It took 6 minutes to finish one cigarette. It sparked a certain curiosity in her. How much damage could she cost in just a mere 6 minutes? The almost burned out cigarette in her lips slipped off and fell on the cold ground. She gazed up at the building, her young student had disappeared into to exorcise the curse spirits. Her lime hues wavered as if she was contemplating about something of great importance in her mind.

However, soon she took another cigarette from the packet and lit it up.

'What good have come from holding onto my morals?'

.......................

Yuta couldn't understand what was going on. Wasn't the curses a grade 2? Then why were his jujitsu techniques not working on them. Even if they were grade 1 curses, it should have caused some damage to them. However, it was like his powers were having almost no effect on the curses.

His grip on his sword tightened. Sweats beginning to trickle down the sides of his temple. Something was wrong.

So very wrong.

........................

Y/n let out a puff.

It had been four minutes. Two more minutes before she was done with the cigarette.

She took another puff of the toxic smoke. Her bright lime hues remained fixated on the run down building. Soon, a small ghost of smirk appeared in her visage and her eyes gleamed with almost excitement.

"5 mins 40 seconds."

She dropped the cigarette on the ground and stepped on it.