CHAPTER 15

'Can I at least love you from afar?'

.................

"You need to stop getting on my nerves." Y/n stated, taking out the cigarette box from the insides of her pocket. Satoru eyes trailed to catch a glimpse of her, his thick dark glasses rest on the bridge of his nose. Whenever y/n returned from her missions, he would switch from his blindfold to sunglasses so he could catch a glimpse of her without being caught. "I already have the higher ups testing my patience everyday."

She put the cigarette in between her lips.

"But I was just showering you with my love, y/n." He replied with a grin. However, his false facade falter a little when he saw her lit up her cigarette with the silver lighter.

The silver lighter that once belonged to Suguru.

She removed the cigarette from her lips to let out a puff of the toxic smoke. "I don't need that kind of love." She turned her head to glance at him.

"Then what's the love language you want?" He asked in a light hearted tone.

"Liquor." She turned her attention to the front and inhaled a puff of the cigarette.

"The old men aren't paying you enough?"He took a jab at her. She needed rehabilitation at the rate she was consuming liquor and cigarettes. There was no way he was going to contribute to her route of self destruction.

"No."

"Then why don't you ask for something more expensive when I'm being generous?"

Her lips curled up in a small smile. "Free liquor tastes better." She responded, her gloomy eyes wavered slightly like a calm pond disturb with a peddle. "Why don't you buy me a bar? I know a bar down the streets that serves the best liquor." She continued after a pause. "It's worth a million."

"You haven't changed, have you? Stubborn as always." Satoru commented, a chuckle rumble out of his throat.

"So are you buying me the bar?"

He placed his warm hand around her shoulder and pulled her against his side. "I would be killing you if I do that." He answered in a light hearted tone. "And I wish for you to live long."

She let out a laugh. "You seem to have quite the impossible wish. You haven't forgotten our line of work right?"

He bended down to her height. "Nope." His lips stretched in a bright smile. "We are the strongest, y/n."

She froze. Old memories flashed in her eyes as she stared at him in utter silence. The good old days she had spent with him and Suguru. It made her question if she would be able to kill Satoru and avenge her lovers death. She had literally grown alongside him.

She despised him for taking away Suguru from her. But she still had a soft spot for him; for all the years they had being together as good friends. Satoru was the first person to fill the empty void in her life. Her first friend.

"Well, you said that to Suguru too." She spoke out finally, her eyes filled with immense sorrow and grief. Satoru felt a painful tug in his heart. His grip on her loosened a little. Millions of emotions overshadowed his blue hues, which looked like the wide skies. Of which grief and guilt weighed the most.

It had been ages since she last mentioned about Suguru to him since his death. Neither had he ever brought up about Geto to her.

Both of them had mourned and suffered in their own different ways in solitude.

"But he's gone." Her voice was almost above a whisper, she feared if she spoke any louder she will break down in the very arms of the man who killed him. "Maybe someday soon, I'll join him in the after life."

Satoru's eyes wavered, tears almost on the verge of pooling up in his mesmerising eyes. Just the thought of losing her made him feel numb. She was the only person he found comfort in now that Suguru was gone. She had always being his home. He might go feral with grief if he were to lose her.

It was selfish of him. But he wished to die before her. More so, in her warm arms.

'I promise, I will keep you save.' Those words were what he wished to say but it failed to part from his lips. Instead he covered up his true emotions with a false facade like always.

A smile.