CHAPTER 13

'Can I at least love you from afar?'

...............

Gojo walked out of  principal Yaga's office and proceeded to walk down the hallways, however, he stopped midway on his step to look down. Y/n sat on the bench stretching her hands out to the blond man who appeared to be holding onto the last straws of his patience.

The higher ups had begin to put pressure on both of them to tie the knot. As if the world's every problem will be solved with them getting wedded. He was not foolish enough not to know the lime eyed lady did not wish to be married to him and their plan — they made long back — was out of the window the day Suguru died. In fact, he knew she would never go along with it from the moment he saw her gaze at Suguru like he was the dream she has been wishing for all those years.

He tip his glasses a little so as to take a peep of the h/c. Her lips were stretched in a smile yet her hues were gloomy like the weather on a rainy day. Suguru seemed to have taken away a piece of her with him.

Sometimes, it felt like he was just staring into a dead man's eyes when he look into her lime hues. Not to forget, the growing distance between them. He was not stupid to not notice her slowly slipping away and he couldn't even hold onto her. He wished he could embraced her tightly in his arms and bridged the gap. However, every time he stood before her he could hardly meet her eyes. A part of him blamed himself for her turmoil.

He knew what y/n went through every day as the heir of the l/n family. And above all, she was born in exchange of her mother's life. Everyone knew birthing her would lead to the demise of Mrs. L/n the moment she became impregnated with her. Her cursed energy was too much to bear even for a special grade sorcerer. However, the L/n clan decided to birth her. Only to place an immeasurable weight on her shoulders.

He wished to be the one to lighten her burdens. Yet he ended up taking away the life of the very man who happened to lift her weight.

Suguru Geto.

The man who won her heart over in a span of few months and ease her heart like no other. Something he couldn't do even after being by her side since they were kids. It would be a lie if he said he didn't envied Suguru even once throughout those years.

And now as she sat, acting like a child in front of her former classmate, he wished he was in Nanami's place. Not because she cared for Kento more than she cared for him. But the simple fact that Nanami could offer her a shoulder to cry on which he could not.

"Kento please~" she whined, just to simply lay back down on the wooden bench and turn her back to her acquaintance. It appeared as if she was tired of pleading to the blond man to carry her back to her quarter. "I'm tired. You can go. Shooo~" she waved her hand and closed her eyes. The playfulness in her serene countenance faded away like it was just an illusion as she shut her eyes; like she had just pulled off the mask to retire for the day.

Nanami let out a sigh and pulled out his phone from the insides of his coat. However, as he was about to ring up someone to get her, he stopped.

His finger hover over the screen.

He exhaled from his nose and put his phone away. He stared down at the lime eyed lady and his hardened gaze soften a little. Her very existence annoyed him yet he always found himself sympathising her. She felt like an old lost soul trying to find its way back to the place she belong.

"Y/n." He called out to receive no response. Was she fanning to be asleep? He took a step closer and peered down to see her fast asleep. Soft snores escaped from her parted lips, it made him question how long she had gone without sleeping this time? He clearly recollect the countless sleepless nights she spent as she was sent to more missions than him and Haibara, as she was the heir of the L/n clan. However, she always seemed happy and content as she had someone to return to.

He picked her up in his arms.

He promised himself this would be the last time he would ever help her get back home safely. She was not his responsibility. He had enough in his own plate.

However, as he laid her on her bed and she mumbled out those words in her sleep. He couldn't help but feel the tiniest grudge he hold against her evaporate away like a vapour in the air. The disappointment he bore for her absence when Haibara passed away.

"I'm sorry, Kento. I couldn't be there for you."

He gently loosened her grip on the hem of his coat and placed it under the warm covers.

"It's not your fault."