Chapter Seven: Deep Talks in the Smoke

"Shit..." Farlan whispers.

"What just happened, Farlan?" Izzy asks, her eyes big and innocent.

"I - I - We we're just talking and he stormed out!" Farlan tells her.

The group of scouts stare wide eyed.

Did they hear what Farlan said? He should've kept his mouth shut and asked Levi later about all that stuff...

"Uhh, Izzy! Why don't you show our new friends around! I'm going to go on a smoke break real quick!" Farlan says, bring his hand to scratch behind his head.

"Okie! Sounds good to me!" Isabel bounces off with her new friends following behind her.

Farlan makes his way out the door, placing his hands in his pockets, searching for the pack of cigarettes.

"Damn, where did they go?"

"Looking for these?" A voice asks.

Farlan jumps.

"Shit, Levi! You scared me!"

"Tch. Still smoke?" Levi asks, handing Farlan the pack of cigarettes.

Farlan sighs. "Yeah... do you? I'm guessing so since you stole them from me... somehow?"

Levi sighs back. "Not since I got recruited to the scouts. Since I'm back down here though, I'm thinking might as well." Levi states, bringing a cigarette to his lips. "Got a lighter?" He manages to get out.

"Yeah! Here!" Farlan brings the lighter out of his pant pocket and and reaches over to the shorter man, flicking the lighter until the cigarette comes to life.

Levi takes a hit and slowly blows it out. "Thanks..."

"No problem..."

The air between the two is still. The only sound that is hear is Isabel babbling to the young group inside the house.

Farlan let's out a huff. "She's excited to see you."

"I can tell," Levi says, amused.

It's still again, but this time it's quiet. The two boys sit in silence for a bit, watching the smoke that comes off of Levi's cigarette.

"I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean to offend you," Farlan starts. "I should've waited to talk to you about it. I'm just anxious about you going back to that. Are you going to let the others know?"

"I don't know..." Levi sighs, bringing the cigarette back up to his lips for another hit of it. "We'll need more though, and that's a damn good way to get it," he blows out.

Farlan hums.

He will admit, prostitution does make good money. The only few downfalls of it is that the person could get sick, raped, or even killed.

Levi breaks the silence, shaking his head, "I just don't want the others to know that's what humanity's strongest solider does down here, y'know? Sells his body to fat, rich people."

Farlan nods in understanding before saying, "But why?"

"Why what?"

"Why that?" Farlan asks. "There are so many other ways to get money."

Levi sighs and turns away without answering.

"I'm serious," Farlan says. "You don't have to put yourself through this kind of shit every time we need money. We do that together, and we do it without hurting ourselves!"

Levi swallows, "it's easy." It's come out like a whisper, barely audible, but Farlan heard it and it's crushes him.

"I wouldn't call it 'easy,' ma cheri!" Farlan exclaims. "Remember when you got sick! You could barely move for two days!"

"It's what I know how to do, Farlan," Levi states, digging his cigarette into the ground to put it out. "Can we leave it at that?"

The door whips open, revealing Isabel and the others. "Levi-bro, Farlan! I'm hungry!"

The two boys look at each other and nod.

"Let's eat!"