𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

After the challenging day in the Capture the Flag game, the campers had already enjoyed their dinner and were gearing up for a visit to the amphitheater, as was their nightly tradition, for the campfire hosted by the Apollo cabin. 

Luke and Annabeth strolled through the campgrounds toward the amphitheater, with Annabeth wearing a grin from ear to ear - swiftly, the campfire had become one of her cherished routines in their new home.

Luke had always appreciated the outdoors and campfires, and while singing wasn't his hobby like it was for young Annabeth, the campfire wasn't an activity he minded - in a way, he even liked it.

Upon reaching the amphitheater, it stood as imposing as ever. Its circular stone tiers were intricately carved with impressive details. Below, in the small clearing, the fire burned brightly, golden, reflecting the high spirits of the campers.

The campers were still settling in as the children of Apollo prepared to start playing. A few steps above the ground, Keira, Nik, Sonia, Jolene, and Jon engaged in a conversation. Keira was sharing an anecdote, capturing the center of attention, and the others laughed. Her gray eyes acquired a strange but beautiful gleam as the fire reflected in them. Jon, spotting Luke and Annabeth, signaled for them to join. Before Luke could say anything, little Annabeth ran down the steps, excitement palpable on her face, to take a seat next to Jolene, right against the aisle. Luke, having no more space on that side, found himself compelled to sit next to Keira.

"Nice game today," Nik said when he saw him, after everyone greeted each other. "You guys were this close to losing, lucky break for you."

Keira chuckled at that. "Nik, sunshine, you couldn't even beat us when I was on one leg," she said mischievously.

"How's your leg?" Annabeth asked, curious. After seeing the blood that afternoon, she was quite taken aback. It wasn't the first time she had seen a demigod injured by a monster attack, of course, but it was the first time she had witnessed such a striking injury since they arrived at Camp.

"Good as new, after ambrosia," her sister responded casually, as if the brutal wound had been nothing more than a minor scrape.

Quickly, the Apollo kids began playing melodies, and the campers eagerly joined in singing. Annabeth sang enthusiastically alongside Jolene. The daughter of Aphrodite had grown fond of the little girl in no time. Nik, Jon, and Sonia continued the songs, playfully challenging each other on who could be more off-key. Keira sang quietly, almost as if she were lip-syncing, her intense gray eyes fixed on the campfire, making her thoughts intriguing-no one could tell what was going on in that mind of hers.

Luke wasn't even attempting to sing. He quickly relaxed into the atmosphere of peace and fellowship that permeated the campfire, getting lost in his thoughts.

Most of the time, he wished Thalia were alive, at the camp, to witness all of this. He couldn't help but think about how wonderful it would be if she were there with him and Annabeth. Thalia would undoubtedly enjoy life at Camp: the dueling classes, archery, chariot races-even Luke had a feeling that Thalia and Keira would get along well, much to his displeasure.

Perhaps, the haughty and insensitive image he held of Keira mirrored what everyone else had once thought of Thalia when she was alive. Yet, Luke found it challenging to accept that comparison. Thalia had sacrificed her life to save him, whereas the daughter of Athena had sent him to the most perilous spot in the entire forest during their first shared game. Clearly, she only cared about herself: winning and being right.

Keira, catching wind of Luke's contemplative mood, interjected with a sassy remark, "Lost in your deep thoughts, kiddo? Careful, you might strain that brain of yours with all that introspection." She grinned mischievously, her gray eyes gleaming with a playful challenge.