𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Going on a quest with two Hermes kids had its advantage: their astonishing ability to steal made everything much easier.

Keira pondered this as she waited for the two demigods in Bayview Plaza, a bustling shopping center in San Francisco. They could easily pick up some clothes there. If they were going to Club Abyss that night—and obviously they were, as it was their only chance to follow Nik's trail—they needed to dress properly to blend in. Cargo pants and sneakers were comfortable for fighting monsters, but they would look out of place in the club.

Keira had heard of Club Abyss before their conversation with the manticore. It was like any other club in the city where ordinary people came to dance and have a good time with friends. However, it had a particularity.

Many times, gods frequented the club to find mortals for affairs. That's how gods often met the parents of their demigod children—Keira's case was no exception. She remembered her father talking about the place with its extravagant lights, a crowded dance floor, and A-ha playing in the background as he met a beautiful Athena, who didn't reveal her true identity at the time. She recalled the sparkle in his eyes when he shared this story with a young Keira inquiring about her mother. She didn't know how, given her tender age at that moment, but she remembered.

Apart from serving as a hunting ground for gods, demigods also attended to mingle with common mortals. Occasionally, they had heard of the appearance and chaos caused by monsters, often disguised to mortal eyes as a drunken brawl.

In essence, Club Abyss was a dark, extravagant, and nocturnal corner of San Francisco where the two worlds—the mortal and the divine—intermingled in every possible way. Keira couldn't help but feel curious about going there, not just for its reputation but also for the history tied to her parents.

While eating lemon ice cream and waiting for the two Hermes kids, her sunglasses hiding her face—Jon insisted that the police might be looking for them for attempting to harm Sebastian—she anticipated the return of the two in the parking lot.

Finally, after what felt like a long wait, the two emerged from the mall's door. Clearly, no one would suspect them of stealing, as they walked casually. They carried three large bags with clothes and shoes for the night. Jon also had a hot coffee in his hands, undoubtedly acquired in an illegal manner too.

They arrived with incredible calmness, prompting Keira to raise an eyebrow, annoyed by the lengthy wait. "You've been gone for almost an hour," she remarked, glancing at her wrist where her watch sat.

"Forty minutes," Jon replied with a smile, "and it would've been less if Luke over here hadn't taken so long choosing between a plain black shirt and a plain very dark blue almost-black shirt."

"It was a tough decision," his brother commented. Almost without looking at Keira, he handed her a bag rather roughly. Evidently, the discussion they had on the train the day before still bothered him. "We got you this."

Keira opened it, and to her surprise, the choices made by the brothers weren't bad at all. It was a red, short, and tight dress. It had an open back—something they hadn't considered given it was December—but she didn't mind the cold too much. Overall, it was good, combining elegance and the necessary casual look for a nightclub.

"And?" Jon asked, seeking the blonde's opinion on the chosen attire.

"It works," she replied with a sideways smile, tossing the empty ice cream container into a nearby trash can, her sunglasses giving her a serious edge. "I look stunning in anything, so no drama."

Luke rolled his eyes at the comment. Clearly, he wasn't in the mood to listen to her bragging. Jon shook his head at the entirely expected remark from her, anticipating it. He seemed amused by the situation.